Handmade Hollow Log Birdhouse - Reclaimed Pear Tree

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This handmade bird house was reclaimed wood from a downed Pear Tree. Rather then burn or turn the wood into mulch, we're reusing for helpful garden products. The birdhouse was cut from one limb, while the roof was taken from the trunk. You can see the amazing color and grain in the wood from the roof piece. The entire birdhouse has been sealed with a coat of polyurethane to slow down natural weathering. The interior was not sealed as not to put off the birds who take up residence here.

Each house is completely original and has different detailed to make them special. So you may notice knots or cracks in some houses... this is just part of their charm.

Measurements are 6 1/4" in diameter and 10" tall.

All bird houses are sent priority mail, and we will include a gift message for free with any order, and shipped anywhere.

(For shipping outside the US please contact us for shipping quote. Thank you!)

Custom houses are available by request.

il_fullxfull.191310895.jpg

il_fullxfull.191310940.jpg

il_fullxfull.191310973.jpg

I have to say, the colors, in the wood of the roof (also from the same pear tree) are FABULOUS! He said I could have one to keep after he made a few to sell. I want to put one on a post out by the pond. Just GORGEOUS!

He's asking $42.00 for this one.

You'll have to PM me for shipping prices.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very Nice, V!

I pruned a wild plum tree near the garden a couple of years ago. A windstorm had just torn the little old tree to pieces! Virtually, every branch was broken. The tree came back really well and looks pretty good now.

I cut the branches into firewood while it was still green and all but 2 pieces went to someone with very little $ and the need for winter warmth. I don't know how the 2 pieces were left behind but they are both only about 3" to 4" in diameter. But,

That wood is just beautiful!

Darn! Makes me wish that I had a bandsaw and an old fruit orchard. And . . . well, I think it was best that those people got some wood for heating but, Gosh! it didn't have to be that wood!

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You guys are showing some real imagination recycling natural materials. I'll bet those will go fast come Spring.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We're hoping they go fast before Christmas! :lol:

We did get contacted locally, and we have sold the dragonfly birdhouse, and medium bee house locally. The lady emailed me and wants another birdhouse with a butterfly too.... so Brian just finished that one, and has done 5 more birdhouses to add metal accents to.

He's hollowed out another log already... but we turned some old cuts he would have thrown in the burn pile into some "welcome" and "home" signs.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very nice, V! Your hubby is one talented guy. :thumbsup

I bet the birds will love them. My FIL had made me one similar out of sassafras as a temporary home for a squirrel I rehabbed and the little guy sure loved his.

Prior to that he was living in a granola bar box. :lol: I can't find a pic of his log house though.

Fall05__0556.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is TOO cute Journey!!!!! :lol:

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is a very nice bird house! How is he hollowing out the logs though? That has got to be quite a bit of work.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
bid said:
That is a very nice bird house! How is he hollowing out the logs though? That has got to be quite a bit of work.
He has a very large drill bit, and a chisel... it is a LOT of work. He does good work, and pays attention to detail though. That's why I love him :)

Latest posts