Hands Off My Lemon Tree !!!!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This will be my 3rd winter with my Meyers lemon tree, if it lives. Fall I bought inside to spend winter in my office. It is planted in a plastic pot, plastic pot is placed inside a vintage Roseville jardinier. Meyers lemon can not take wet roots, they need excellent drainage. I keep mine in a citrus/ catus soil. When I water it I leave out all night to drain before putting back in Jardinier ( no drain hole in jardinier). A couple of days ago tree started dropping leaves like crazy. At first I wasn't worried, as tree stated going bare, I decide to repot. When I lifted plastic pot out of jardinier, I found a puddle of water. Someone must have watered tree with out removing it from pottery! Not sure how long it was sitting in water, must have been awhile the Roseville has white water stains what effects the value of the piece.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hopefully your lemon tree will survive. My lemon tree in the pot loses leaves also when I overwater. I have learned though that every 2 year or so I have to pull it out, trim the roots, and add fresh soil and compost. If I don't the soil gets very compacted and water just runs around the sides and out the pot.

How often were you watering it? Do you know who watered it for you?

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I give very little water in winter. I really can't get mad they didn't know about drainage. Kennel boy waters the garden so was natural to water inside plants.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like it is time to give some lemon lessons! I still have Alex and have 4 lemons! I plan on planting Alex either on the south side of the house or in the greenhouse (when we get it set up)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
one of my co-workers started a citrus seed back in the summer. can't remember if it is a lemon or orange but it has a few tiny leaves on it. she moved it from her desk down to the back of the CS reps area by my desk. i am close to a window so she thinks it will be fine there. i have been watching it but it seems to grow slowly.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uh-oh. Too bad, especially for your pot. Jardinier is just a fancy word for pot right? :p Do you think you can remove the water mark when it drys?

As for your lemon, I'm confident it will bounce back and be just fine.

Maybe you could make some kind of sign to keep in the pot or as a tag on the tree about not watering it?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
NYboy, I wanted to ask you if you keep it under a light indoors?

I would love to have a little lemon tree and am considering if I have a space for one indoors.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay have you tasted a ripe lemon off your tree yet? Thistle your right Jardininer is a pot with a pedestal. I have a grow light I got from home depot. When temperatures stay at 50 or higher I bring my tree outside till fall. This is my 3 rd winter with this tree.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was looking at Four Winds nursery last night and I'm thinking about ordering a 3 year old Meyer lemon. I think I can make space by a window and get a grow light too. Meyers are my favorite and I buy bags of them when they're available.

Latest posts