Hands Off My Lemon Tree !!!!

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Is there a way to know when to pick lemons? Normally, we just wait until they pick themselves and drop off, but that won't be happening with those lemons sitting on the floor.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
heh, @bobm you make a very good point about the tags. i've had roses in the past that came with nice aluminum tags with their 'name' on them.

the only plant i own with a name also has a history behind that name. it is a Christmas Cacti that blooms pink. i called it Al as homage to Albert Einstein who gave the original to Lotte Jacobi who happened to live in NH towards the end of her life. it was given to me & my dh from a teacher friend who happened to know a friend of Lotte's that was able to get some of the cuttings of her 'coffee table' Christmas Cactus. if anything happens to either me or my dh we will make sure that plant gets sent to USNH to be part of their collection of plants they keep in their greenhouse. they have a huge collection of Lotte's photographs too so it is fitting to send it to them. it is also a much different type of Christmas cactus than the others i own-has rounded edges on the segments & seems to get a woody 'stem' as it ages.

somewhere i read that you can take the fresh seeds from lemons & get them to sprout. you are sure to get the specific type of lemon since they don't need to be cross pollinated. i tried sprouting a few Meyer lemon seeds a couple years ago & got them to sprout for me. don't know why i didn't keep them going. :hu i know this takes longer than getting a tree at the greenhouse though.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
heh, @bobm you make a very good point about the tags. i've had roses in the past that came with nice aluminum tags with their 'name' on them.

the only plant i own with a name also has a history behind that name. it is a Christmas Cacti that blooms pink. i called it Al as homage to Albert Einstein who gave the original to Lotte Jacobi who happened to live in NH towards the end of her life. it was given to me & my dh from a teacher friend who happened to know a friend of Lotte's that was able to get some of the cuttings of her 'coffee table' Christmas Cactus. if anything happens to either me or my dh we will make sure that plant gets sent to USNH to be part of their collection of plants they keep in their greenhouse. they have a huge collection of Lotte's photographs too so it is fitting to send it to them. it is also a much different type of Christmas cactus than the others i own-has rounded edges on the segments & seems to get a woody 'stem' as it ages.

somewhere i read that you can take the fresh seeds from lemons & get them to sprout. you are sure to get the specific type of lemon since they don't need to be cross pollinated. i tried sprouting a few Meyer lemon seeds a couple years ago & got them to sprout for me. don't know why i didn't keep them going. :hu i know this takes longer than getting a tree at the greenhouse though.
COOL about your Christmas Cactus

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does your cactus look anything like my VERY old cactus? @Chickie'sMomaInNH
cactus Dec. 2014.JPG

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
not as full as that, but yes the sections do look like that. i know that i have 3 others in my kitchen but they have points on those sections. i know there are 2 different types of these cactus but i'd have to look it up again to know which is which.

Latest posts