Hanging basket do's and don'ts.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistlebloom, this year I bought a special petunia fertilizer to use. This spring, at a garden class -- my favorite nursery -- they said the yellowing leaves typical of fading petunia baskets is due to a lack of iron.

Perhaps that helps to explain why mine are still sort of presentable nearing the end of July, huh? I've actually been fertilizing them?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
sFun_doh2.gif

... fertilize them...
sEm_oops2[1].gif

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you checked to see where the water level in the urns are?
I'm assuming they don't have a drain hole...or do they?
And have you fertilized them at all?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd never thought of hanging a basket on the inside of an urn before. I'm wasting soil and planting them directly into the urns. Of course my urn shaped plastic pots are cheapies so putting drainage holes in them are a no brainer.

I love those beautiful urns of yours, Nyboy. Flowers should be overflowing from them with blooming happiness just knowing they are in such stunning urns.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whew, that took reading a couple of times. Wondered how a killer could remain free like that.

Are you sure they don't water the barrels with cooked veggie water? All the vitamins seep into the water.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Most plants in containers blossom waves. For example, the first wave of a strong, break, and then a second wave. In general, I feel free to crop the "extra branches." If we talk about the tuberous begonia, I think, that the container is too large for her. Sometimes it is narrow container stimulates flowering. Now your begonia grows quiet, a lot of places, it grows a lot of leaves. When she was in narrow - it's stress. Then it's immediately wanted to reproduce to keep its plant species. Flowers - method of reproduction. I have in close pot 3 tuber.
IMG_1784.JPG

Latest posts