Hanging basket do's and don'ts.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most plants in containers blossom waves. For example, the first wave of a strong, break, and then a second wave. In general, I feel free to crop the "extra branches." If we talk about the tuberous begonia, I think, that the container is too large for her. Sometimes it is narrow container stimulates flowering. Now your begonia grows quiet, a lot of places, it grows a lot of leaves. When she was in narrow - it's stress. Then it's immediately wanted to reproduce to keep its plant species. Flowers - method of reproduction. I have in close pot 3 tuber.
View attachment 15175
I have 5-6 tubers in each pot. The two side ones were planted late and are behind the one in front. True, there are many leaves and few flowers. Perhaps next year I will plant pots of begonias in the urns so they feel constricted and flower better. That's good to know. Thank you, Larisa.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Nyboy
I'm glad to see your stunning urns with flowers! Do not heat up in the sun they ? I also planted hang-downing geraniums. But the three-week break without flowers - is a long time for me. I will replace it in the ivy, I have already bought.
IMG_2236.JPG
I think that the ivy is also suitable for your urn. Hang-downing lobelia and Impatiens bloom without interruption. Pelargonium angeleyes Quantock May too.
629791001369590461b.jpg

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Once I had this error. Container overheated and overheated plant. The plant is grown in moist soil, but it did not help.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's right, Nyboy. You have metal urns and they are painted black. They will heat up. Never gave it a thought. Mine are plastic and some sort of foam.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stick a thermometer in the soil at the height of the days heat to see what's happening heat-wise. They may not be heating the soil up appreciably if they are thick walled.

spookybird

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What brand of liquid fertilizer do you use?
My mini petunias are doing pretty good. I've dead headed (I know you're not supposed to have to) trimmed them back and kept them watered good. We've have several 100degree days and they are holding their own.
Everyone's plants look really good!

Attachments

• DSC09365.JPG
    DSC09365.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 268

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What brand of liquid fertilizer do you use?
My mini petunias are doing pretty good. I've dead headed (I know you're not supposed to have to) trimmed them back and kept them watered good. We've have several 100degree days and they are holding their own.
Everyone's plants look really good!

Your's are blooming great! They're loaded!

I use Tiger Bloom, and alternate with diluted fish emulsion and kelp.

spookybird

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
never heard of Tiger Bloom. Wonder if they have it in Ok?
Kelp? Is it in liquid form too? Sorry to be so dumb. Thanks.

Latest posts