Hanging out at work...still think your job sux?

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A co-worker snapped this pic of me at work the other day:

I am beginning to believe that I am getting to old for this stuff.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OMG its giving me a panic attack just looking at that picture!! I am so afraid of heights, it even makes me sick to my stomach when my hubby or dogs go near the edge of a cliff!!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad to see that you were secured to the pole Monty, but getting up and down that ladder must be a bit a breathtaking at times I imagine.

Especially if you have to do it in bad weather. Be careful up there!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
No heights for me... :hide

Hey, can you come change out the bulb in my dusk-to-dawn light for me? LOL

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
You and my DH. No problems with heights. The older I get the shakier I become with ladders, etc... Glad to see you all use the safety equipment.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my god , no way would I do that. I would fall for sure lol. I am not afraid of heights, I am afraid of wobbly ladders though and at that height it would be shaking like H E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS with me on it .

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL!!! Being afraid of heights isn't what most people have a problem with. It's letting go of the ladder once you are up there that trips most people up. I will admit, it gets a little scary when the drill bit binds and twists the drill. The safety belt would probably catch me if I fell (and the ladder twisted), but I would be hanging upside down until a rescue crew could get there with a bucket.

Getting to the top of the pole and tying off can be a bit hair-raising Thistle; it takes some balance because you have a straight ladder rung against a round pole...and you're not tied off to anything. That's the most dangerous time...unless some idiot runs around the groundman and snags the cable while I'm hoisting it. That would snatch me off the ladder and probably break my back or worse.

Nope, no boredom for me Bay! I do enjoy it though. Last week I was on a pole outside of a second story window. There was a little girl (maybe 3 or 4 years old) in the window looking at me. Her eyes were the size of saucers and her mouth was wide open. I waved at her and she raised one timid little hand and waved back. It was so cute!!!

It's a living.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my mis-spent youth I ran overhead cranes. No problem with the height, but sparks flying every time I moved the crane was scary. I was even 'invited' to run the 30 foot crane in OP -- the only woman who ever did. I remember setting a crankcase lightly on someone's lap, but he admitted that was his fault for not signaling. Heck, I even got to transfer a completed power plant into the testing building. These were used to power Navy carriers among other things. Exhilarating power for an eighteen year old!

Don't think I could have handled the rungs straight up a pole. My trip up 30 feet was a straight ladder enclosed with railings. Today? No way I could make it without a serious incentive -- I'm talking life or death incentive. That's what my son's father-in-law does for a living as well. And you're right. I remember climbing as a child. No problem getting up. Little problem getting down. But from the ladder to the loft and from the loft to the ladder? Nope! Letting go of the ladder to crawl around in the hay mow was scary.

So, are you one of those folks who sometimes attach those cameras that spy for Big Brother?

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As a matter of fact Red, on this particular job I am high-lining fiber optic cable for a camera system in a HUD housing project. Crime in the project has skyrocketed with break-ins and drug dealing running rampant. There is an office on the property that offers free services to low income residents in the form of education, information, free diapers etc...The office worker told me yesterday that the office had been broken into three times in the past six months. They used to have a few computers in there for people to use to access the internet for job searching, education and such, but now there are none because they keep getting stolen. Even the office computer is now a laptop that the worker has to take home every night. There was also a tv that small children could watch while the parents were using the computers or whatever. That is also gone.

It's a shame that "big brother" has to be there at all, but the fact is, people bring it on themselves. Being there everyday, and everyone knows what we are doing, I am hearing mixed views on the installation of cameras. Many tenants are happy to see them being installed; many others are not. In my experience, those that are happy to see them are the people being victimized; those that don't want them are the reason they are being installed.

Latest posts