Happy (or not) Groundhogs Day.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cloudy here, and darn cold! ... I hope all the hogs are froze in the burrows!

Funny, they said the Wisconsin mayor that got his ear bit by the crabby hog should use a hamster next year... :gig ... Yahoo news

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Stay warm my friends! In the U.S. groundhogs only live in the Great Lakes, Mid-Atlantic, and Northeast. So, they can't possibly be charged with predicting weather for the Southwest. At the end of January we reached 80 degrees which was definitely strange, and has us all worried about how hot summer might be. Down here, it's definitely full steam ahead on Spring!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Call me on this, but according to my TREES, this Spring will be a little early. We haven't had enough of a thaw to justify their bud swells, but swelling they are. My Husky mix is shedding early, my outside (of COURSE) horses are beginning to shed. THEY know a lot better than a Pennsylvania burrowing rodunt. Guess, we'll see. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've got the groundhogs big brother here. They just call him a Marmot.

Marmots live above 6,000ft in Colorado, if I remember right. Probably, about that high in California. They are down to about 1800ft here. In Alaska, they live right down to sea level. (Where they should all end up, following a long trail north! They can take lessons from the Lemmings, and all of them can go for a swim!)

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We don't have groundhogs here in Texas..........reckon an armadillo would work? :lol:
I don't think an armadillo would be as sweet and understanding as a groundhog at being awaken, pushed, prodded and pulled from a cozy winter's sleep into a world of big bands, bright lights, high snows and low temperatures.

The groundhog in the nearby community of Sun Prairie bent over to whisper his discontented complaints into the mayor's ear and bit it instead. Short party. The groundhog is resting comfortably again. The Mayor? Not so much.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think an armadillo would be as sweet and understanding as a groundhog at being awaken, pushed, prodded and pulled from a cozy winter's sleep into a world of big bands, bright lights, high snows and low temperatures.

The groundhog in the nearby community of Sun Prairie bent over to whisper his discontented complaints into the mayor's ear and bit it instead. Short party. The groundhog is resting comfortably again. The Mayor? Not so much.
:yuckyuck I saw that and thought *Well what did he expect!*

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lots of ground hogs where i lived in West Virginia and they have followed me down to Arklahoma in the past few years so hang on baymule, they are on their way to texas.

Latest posts