Happy St. Paddy Day

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is a day late but I wanted to chime in. I got a new grandson for St Pat's day. He was a week earlier than the doc planned, but the wee one had other plans. I and the grand daughters tried hard to get the parents to use Patrick as a middle name, but they had other plans.
Anyway, baby and Mom are doing well.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Congrats grandma so lucky! ... great that everything went well!

We're waiting for the call any day now also. DIL is due in 13 days. It's a girl, name yet to be determined as they can't agree on one... and DIL wants no outside input, trust me...:gig
I think she's getting a little cranky. :hide

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anyway, across from the hotel was an Irish Pub. It was open 24 hours a day and served meals. It was my son's favorite eating site during that week. Nothing says Ireland like listening to tenors singing all those beautiful Irish ballads over and over and over.

Yes they are nice aren't they. I spent part of my time in yesterday's session listening to recordings of Dennis Day (who I knew from a lifetime of listening to old radio shows on recording) I just didn't mention it (partly because a lot of his stuff, while considered funny at the time, would now be horribly politically incorrect. The kicker is that a lot of it IS still funny, ESPECIALLY "Clancy Lowered the Boom" So I listen, but with earphones on)

Then of course there is the fake stuff which can be even funnier. Below is a fave of mine. I think it's hilarious, some others don't (my sister took one listen and said that, because I liked it, if she ever had children, she would NEVER let me babysit them. So Lucky if the kid drives you crazy, try singing it to them

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's actually even better in Korean (Gaiguri seki do gaiguri da) since theirs adds on more word to the phrase, "the child of a frog is still a frog"

Another Japanese one you might find useful when you grandson is a smartass know it all is Saru mo ki kara ochiru, "even monkeys fall out of trees" ("even experts make mistakes). I personally prefer the other version for these cases however, since I am short of temper and it sounds more menacing, kappa no kawa nagare, "even a kappa (aquatic Japanese mythical creature, looks like a cross between a turtle and a monkey) can drown".

I also love the Japanese version of "too many cooks spoil the broth", "too many boatmen will sail the boat up a mountain" (you'll need to wait for the Japanese for that one, my proverb books are upstairs)

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I also love the Japanese version of "too many cooks spoil the broth", "too many boatmen will sail the boat up a mountain" (you'll need to wait for the Japanese for that one, my proverb books are upstairs)

Sendo oku ****e fune yama ni noburu (with lines over the first two o's)

few more

Mochi wa mochiya, "for rice cakes, go to the rice cake maker" (the right man for the right job"

Toranu tanuki no kawa zan' yo (line again) "don't calculate the value of a tanuki skin before catching the tanuki" (don't count your chickens before their hatched)

Chimi mo tsumoreba yama to naru, "even dust amassed will make a mountain (great oaks from little acorns grow)

He o hitte shiri tsubome, "there's no use scrunching your butt up after a fart" (there's no use locking the barn after the horse has run away)

Mitsugo no tamashii hyaku made, "the spirit of a three year old lasts 100 years" (the child is the father of the man"

Yanagi no ****a ni itsu-mo dojo (line) wa inai, "once cannot always find a fish under a willow (no one's luck lasts forever)

No (line) aru taka wa tsume o kakasu "a clever hawk hides his claws" (he who knows most, speaks least)

And finally their version of "if you don't succeed try try again)

Nana-korobi ya-oki, "fall down seven times, get up eight"

I'll do the second book later.

Latest posts