Hard Freeze

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well, it went from darn near 80 and going all the way down to the teens in matter of weeks. I'm worried about my fruit trees that I still have in pots. Most still have green leaves and haven't "hardened off". Temps will fall briefly below 20f, but will stay around 20 for several hours. The trees I'm worried about are apples, cherries, apricots, pluots and plums that have not gone dormant yet.

Do you think I should protect the trees by bringing them into the garage? (not something I'm looking foward too)

It sucks as I have some 6 week old chicks outside and a momma with a single week-old baby chick. :( Gotta keep the heat lamps going for them.

Trisha

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yikes! Sounds like this cold snap has affected you as well! :(

I would either move your trees, as you suggested, or wrap them in burlap as soon as possible, especially the pots, or the roots may freeze.

If they are fairly small, you could also make a wire cage around them and fill it with dry leaves to act as insulation.

Hopefully the hen is keeping the week old chick good and warm, but I imagine she leave the nest for food and water. Hopefully the heat lamps will help..

Winter came too early this year for my liking..minus 10 Celcius at night here. :rolleyes:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would wrap them.... that would be enough, maybe even surround with hay bales.