Hardening off tomatoes

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have some tomato and onion seedlings started indoors in a greenhouse-type window. You know, those windows that are about 10" deep that have an angled top that is supposed to open? Mine doesn't open because the threads of the handle-thingy are galled.

Anyway, I was going to harden these things off as usual. Now, our central heat is pretty lame, and doesn't reach that room so fabulously well. The room this window is in, it stays about 55 degrees at night but gets considerably warm during the day.

This morning, I woke up and the whole house was about 50-55 degrees. Same temp as outdoors. DH pays the heating bill and decided that from now until October, the method of heating the house will be a. woodstove b. Big Fluffy Dog and c. if you're cold put a sweater on.

I checked the tomato plants. They look OK, apart from two cat-chewed ones. At this point, should I bother with the effort of carrying them around to harden them off? The whole house is the same temp as outside at night, and only gets warm during the day because of having many southerly windows. Do you think I will be safe with just plonking the things outside and letting them do their thing? The garden is on a northerly slope, so it stays more evenly chilly there, maybe 50-60 degrees.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I will admit to hardly ever carrying seedlings around to harden them off. Only if the weather is erratic or I'm really pushing the schedule.

Mine, tomatoes included, when they go out they go OUT. And stay there. But in a place that does not get real windy or get real cold at night (the corner of the deck where garage meets house, or a cold frame, or amongst cinderblocks, or like that), and I give them sun protection for the first couple days.

I'd suggest just doing that. Keep 'em out of direct wind, prop some pine branches or a piece of windowscreen or a handful of hay over 'em for the first two days, and arrange for them not to get too cold overnight, and just kick 'em out and leave 'em out.

I wouldn't put them in the ground without at least 5 days or so of the above -- the shock is likely to set them back a lot, IME.

JMO,

Pat

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree with Pat. Great advice.

We normally don't really harden off either. We put most of our plants out this season when nighttime temps were in the 40's and daytime temps in the 70's.

We did put some plywood boards to protect them from the wind since when its slightly breezy here the multi-story buildings around the property create a wind funnel. We left that there for a week.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I third the notion. I don't haul mine around either. Like I tell my kids, When I get you out of the house you are out for good!!!

They should be fine. :lol:

tinman9952

Sprout
Reaction score
This year I cut the tops off of milk jugs, put a stick in the handle hole, and put my tomato seedlings in the ground about two weeks early. I'm really pleased with the results. I live in Maine so frost was a major concern;the moisture retention was an added bonus.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
Like I tell my kids, When I get you out of the house you are out for good!!!
:lol:
Now you've done it! They probably won't ever move out, now you've warned them. :lol:

I usually put my plants out for several days, under cover of my patio, but where they still get the sun. This year all my tomato's are going to the greenhouse, so I won't need to do much hardening off.

Latest posts