Hardening Off

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This is the time of season I dread. It can be tricky sometimes.
These are just a few of the seedlings I have started. The others are still under lights, too young.

6693_plants_003.jpg

We have Mountain Princess tomatoes, Silver Fir tomatoes, various flowers, Basil, Parsley, onions, Brussels Sprouts and others.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow damummis looks great!! ;)
Yeah, just take them outside a little bit at a time
Don't leave them outside on their first day for too long, maybe do an hour outside one day then the next day two hours etc. untill they get used to the outside environment.

Nice deck by the way!!

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I never have any luck inside there is no good window light.. and I bought a stupid bulb and it's not helping either... but I HAVE to start the seeds indoors or it'll take forever go get veggies...

so... now I'm taking them out as soon as the emerge from the soil into the cold frame and then back in at night. So far so good... but it's only been a week.... but usually stuff wilts, bleaches or dies completely within a day or two.. so I figure it might be working....

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
DawnSuiter said:
I never have any luck inside there is no good window light.. and I bought a stupid bulb and it's not helping either... but I HAVE to start the seeds indoors or it'll take forever go get veggies...

so... now I'm taking them out as soon as the emerge from the soil into the cold frame and then back in at night. So far so good... but it's only been a week.... but usually stuff wilts, bleaches or dies completely within a day or two.. so I figure it might be working....
I did that last year, it works great. Good Luck!

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Clamp lights ($6) and 100w equivalent CFLs work great. I was able to harvest mini bok choy grown under 2 CFLs
Do you mean those cork screw bulbs with the mercury in them????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ep No thanks ;) I can't buy those. Do you know how many people just chuck them in the trash? I KNOW some of those people!! :( I'm not saying that YOU do of course, I'm sure you take yours to the special recycling plant. We don't have any place within 200 miles to recycle something like that...

Are there any growing lights that are safe-r for the environment?

Clamp lights here are $10 a piece here.... you get a considerable savings on those over what I have to pay?!!? Lucky lady!

Well.. like I said before... I just am taking them straight out to the cold frame after they sprout from the dirt. It's certainly more cost effective, I just can't start gardening as early as some of you lucky ones. Fortunately, I do have a nice growing season outdoors... April through October... but I'd like to grow in a greenhouse year round... so I do need to find an option.

Latest posts