Hardening Off

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Clamp lights ($6) and 100w equivalent CFLs work great. I was able to harvest mini bok choy grown under 2 CFLs
I took your advice this year after my trouble last spring, and I have to say you are RIGHT on the money! i have the most beautiful stocky tomatoes and peppers right now! They are growing like crazy, but they arent leggy at all.

THANK YOU!!! :)

Oh, I have only three because my other clamp light is in the basement for the baby chicks. :) So my tomatoes are in rotation, half under the lights in the day, and half under the lights at night. I switch them every twelve hours exacly, and they are doing fine.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
damummis said:
DawnSuiter said:
I never have any luck inside there is no good window light.. and I bought a stupid bulb and it's not helping either... but I HAVE to start the seeds indoors or it'll take forever go get veggies...

so... now I'm taking them out as soon as the emerge from the soil into the cold frame and then back in at night. So far so good... but it's only been a week.... but usually stuff wilts, bleaches or dies completely within a day or two.. so I figure it might be working....
I did that last year, it works great. Good Luck!
Before I got a gas furnace for the greenhouse (and after I'd tried an electric heater and decided not to pay so much $$ :(), I used to carry plants in and out to the greenhouse everyday. They sat on the floor of the utility room overnight.

It does work fine :)!

They probably only lost an hour or so of weak sunlight every day as the greenhouse warmed up in the morning.

dust bunny said:
what does hardening off mean?
Hardening-off is gradually getting indoor plants accustomed to stronger light, variable temperatures, and air movement, outdoors.

Steve

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Don't thank me....it was whoever started the old thread about lumens.

THANK YOU MYSTERIOUS STRANGER :D

As for hardening off, my plants are NOT liking all this wind. Fortunately I am not losing any to excess sun.

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yeah I have been leaving mine inside, we are souther and easter even then you, and it has been really bad out here. Supposed to gust up to 50 today. :(

:lol: I don't think those are words.... oh well.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've heard that by giving the plants some wind it will make them a little stronger to hold up to the wind better.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, a little wind is a good thing (50mph is over doing it!) Some people run a fan on a low setting to add strength to the stems...

Latest posts