Hardest weed to get rid off.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
SEE?!?!?!?! Wouldn't you rather be pulling up...MINT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
:D ... boy, would I ever... :D ... although it's not quite as fun when it sneaks into the strawberry bed... :he

Stinging nettles are the worst! They bite back ... and I swear they can grow as tall as me in a week! :barnie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Up close, mint will get a little too close for most of its neighbors and elbow it's way in. And after overwhelming the landscape, mint can be a little overwhelming even at a distance.

I live where it is grown commercially, for mint oil.

A person can get dizzy from the fumes during harvest.
Steve :th

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
digitS' said:
nittygrittydirtdigger said:
Tackweed, goat head, punctureweed.....
Yeah, I've heard it's nasty.

But, for me - it's bindweed, also. It takes repeat sprayings. Or, "sifting" the soil to get the roots out.

Never let it get past its 1st year!

If you leave it the least window of opportunity, bindweed will crawl thru or out from under mulch.

Steve
I agree with both of these, but I think I, too, give bindweed the final vote. :)

I also hate those small stickers that are covered with bristles. They have some kind of poison in them and they hurt even after you have pulled them out.

But, of course, I can't remember what they are called. There was a thread about them last year, they have watermelon-like leaves, and tomato-like flowers and are in the nightshade family.

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Japanese knotweed/ Mexican Bamboo. Or whatever it is called. Now there is an invasive weed.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have problems with creeping charlie/ground ivy. I hate the smell of that stuff. In the veggie garden it's definitely thistle. I hate when I go to just yank up a small piece & forget I don't have a glove on!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've pretty much gotten rid of my bindweed in the front garden and the burdocks in the pastures, and am getting a good handle on the thistle population in the pastures (both the big purple ones and Canada thistle, which btw is NOT originally from Canada :p)...

...so currently I guess my three biggest problems are:

1) perennial sowthistle in the lawn. Mowing keeps it from flowering, but the darn stuff just pops up a million little rosettes *everywhere*, and the roots/runners are so very brittle you cannot hope to pull it out. I have more or less resigned myself to it.

2) ground ivy (Glechoma) in the lawn on the W side of the house. I got it from some violets transplanted from my m-i-l who thinks it's 'cute' because it doesn't need mowing, and I guess I didn't search the crevices of the violet roots enough. In 6 years it has spread from a single speck to about a 20x30 area, and since there is no way of getting rid of it I expect it will eventually invade the whole property. Sigh. But since there is no way of getting rid of it in a lawn (I *did* extirpate it from a front flowerbed) I have just resigned myself to it, and do not stress over it.

3) grass in the flowerbeds. In a way, this is my worst weed because it is the only one that, one, you NEED to keep going after and going after and going after (otherwise the bed turns into lawn) but, two, there is no hope of ever keeping it out for long, so it is guaranteed to be a permanent battle. The best I can say is that, the better my garden soil gets, the easier it is to pull the darn stuff out.

Pat, who spent a few hours weeding this past weekend for the first time of the year, mainly pulling grass out of beds :p

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
patandchickens said:
3) grass in the flowerbeds. In a way, this is my worst weed because it is the only one that, one, you NEED to keep going after and going after and going after (otherwise the bed turns into lawn) but, two, there is no hope of ever keeping it out for long, so it is guaranteed to be a permanent battle. The best I can say is that, the better my garden soil gets, the easier it is to pull the darn stuff out.
I thought I was the ONLY ONE with that problem!! :lol:

Bama Chick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have mug wort in my flower beds and bermuda lawn. Last year I removed all the flowers from one bed and "nuked" the bed with everything I could think of, including 4 applications of undiluted Roundup, and it still came back! HELP!

Latest posts