Harold the Rooster

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I decided to do some training since Harold has been back to his normal self. He did so good!! He was quite pleased to jump on the box many times for corn. He also seemed a lot more engaged and interested in actually working. The past few times the girls have been doing the work and when he's not aggressive, he's just sorta babysitting.

He was so calm, I even took a few shots of him while he begged for food. I do have a video of him jumping on the box, but I'll have to go through it later to get a still of his fine performance.
DSC08311.JPG

Also...isn't he rather handsome?!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Harold went to a new home today. He is going to be free ranging with some hens in a much bigger pasture. We've had two incidents that make me think he would be better off somewhere else, both involving him flying into the side of the run.

He will panic at random times (I think?) and slam at full speed into the side of the fence. This last time (two days ago) he slammed into the fence so hard he cut his head open and knocked himself out. I was sure he was dead since he was just lying there on his back gasping, second eyelid closed, wings spread out and legs stuck up in the air.

I stayed with him thinking he'd take his last breath and to keep the girls from picking his eyeballs out (pretty sure they hate him) but he got right back up after a few minutes and carried on. He did not like having his head tended to as I didn't treat the cut while he was unconcious, thinking he was about to die.

His new home has a larger flock of hens and no fencing, so he can't possibly run into anything and bean his head on it. He still randomly attack stickers/pieces of paper and other odds and ends though, so hopefully they're prepared to handle that.

The girls have made it clear they are overjoyed the man of the house is gone. I'll have to find them some friends so there isn't only two.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...The girls have made it clear they are overjoyed the man of the house is gone. I'll have to find them some friends so there isn't only two.

i have been wondering how he was doing lately. thanks for the update. :) sad when something doesn't work out as expected, but you learned a lot i'm sure!

Latest posts