Harold the Rooster

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found eggs in their coop today!!

that's his way of saying, "I need more grasshoppers to chase!"
I actually wondered if perhaps putting a toy on a lure and letting him beat that up would help him vent his feelings. He attacked the watermelon I put in the coop today. Don't know what I'm going to do with him. :rolleyes:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found eggs in their coop today!!

I actually wondered if perhaps putting a toy on a lure and letting him beat that up would help him vent his feelings. He attacked the watermelon I put in the coop today. Don't know what I'm going to do with him. :rolleyes:

watermelons are dangerous! at least when i trip over them or drop them on my foot...

it is interesting for sure to learn about this chicken behaviors, but i'm not sure why that one would be a trigger other than the red color.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
watermelons are dangerous! at least when i trip over them or drop them on my foot...

it is interesting for sure to learn about this chicken behaviors, but i'm not sure why that one would be a trigger other than the red color.
I'm not sure. Right now he's attacking everything. The sticker on the wood was white, the paper on the platform, black and white. The flower pot was brown. He even goes up and bites/pulls/tugs the t-shirt yarn I used to make his down-jump thing lower.

I think he's got way too much testosterone flowing through him at the moment, and I'm hoping it will pass. I'm sure he's going to die of stress if he's attacking random objects all the time.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today both my husband and I were in and out of the coop, collecting eggs, refreshing the water, filling the feeders...nothing. He was a perfect gentleman. He took a few treats from my hand. Clucked to the girls for the rest, and let me do what I needed to do.

Perhaps he exhausted himself attacking stickers all night and realized in his little pea brain that perhaps he should look before he pecks.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried a new tactic with Harold today. I want to get him to stand on a step stool on cue. The last time I brought the step stool in he attacked it, presumably because it was new.

Today, we practiced taking corn through the fence, and opening the door and going in. (No aggression.) I tossed a big reward for letting me go in without aggression, put the step stool in, put a big pile of treats on the step stool and left.

He was very good for everything, completely benign, but his back was turned treat clucking to the girls when I put it in the run. I hastened out of there before he saw it and possibly associated me with the new thing. Tomorrow he will either be used to that step stool and we can start practicing on it, or I will find him passed out next to it tomorrow from the exhaustion of attacking it.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suspect Harold opted for attacking it all night. He was very subdued when I went out there. He ate the corn, followed me around while I did stuff, but didn't so much as ruffle a feather. I feel a little bad for him, but he made his own choices. :p

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Harold jumped on the box today!!!

He's back to being relatively calm again. I was able to put some RED tomatoes in the coop for them to eat without him immediately exhausting himself attacking it. His little peanut brain has processed that attacking everything he sees the second he sees it just leaves him exhausted.

Latest posts