Has anyone done container carrots?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
I thought I'd try "Little Fingers" bc they are a shorter hybred of Nantes.
I think I'd take it a step farther and grow one of the ball carrots that are shaped like a beet. Most of the heritage seed catalogs have them.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember, the most important part of a container to grow plants in is the holes on the bottom.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The English love their gardens. They have contests to see who can grow the largest vegetables. They use a container on carrots to get extremely long roots, up to 3 feet long. They take a section of drainage pipe and split it lengthwise. It is filled with a potting mixture and a carrot seed planted at the top. Since the root has nowhere to go but down it gets extremely long.

VeggieNessa

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am a container gardener and I like to companion garden. I've grown carrots in my containers with other plants (tomatoes, peppers, etc.). The first time I tried them (Dragon Carrot) it was GREAT! At first I was disappointed because I thought that they would have grown to harvest sooner, but I was very pleasantly surprised to find BUNCHES of them as I was clearing out the pots for winter! Last year was not so successful, probably due to spider mites. :( Definitely try them! I really like Dragon Carrot and that's the one I've had the most success with. HTH :)

Latest posts