Hashbrown Suggestions

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I want to pan grill some hashbrowns, but I'm looking for the perfect potato.... OR I did something wrong last time.

I shredded some Russet potatoes and tried to do the grill thing with olive oil in a pan. The potatoes were WAY too starchy and turned grey?! Just crisp on the edges.

So what potato should I use, or do you have a recipe on what to do with the potato before it goes into the pan!?

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Did you soak them in cold water after you shredded them? I think that's supposed to help with the startchy-ness.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rinsing yes, soaking no... Hmmmm :/

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Same with french fries and potato chips. You need to soak those raw cuts in salt water, about 20 minutes at least, one hour makes for better, over night is even far batter. Then rinse before using!

Then do as you did, put about 2-3 tbs of oil in pan. Place shredded potatoes on top, do not turn until golden brown. While cooking the first side then sprinkle with salt and pepper, then turn once and cook the top side until brown. Serve immediately!

For potato chips it only takes a little bit longer with stirring and turning but eventually they brown nicely. Drain on paper, salt to taste.

Good Eatin!

Ron

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
LOL ... At the restaurant we used red potatoes, boiled in the skin until just tender but still quite firm. Remove from water and chill.
Peel and shred. Shredded potatoes were covered with a wet paper towel and kept in the fridge until grilled.
Grill on a hot griddle in lots a butter...;)

Latest posts