haskap/honeyberry (edible honeysuckle) report - excellently tasty!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know there have been a coupla threads on this site where people were asking for more information on these, and at least at the time and from what I remember, some of us had planted them but few if any had actually EATEN any yet.

So I am posting this as an update sort of thing.

I planted two females and a male pollinator, all extremely small, two springs ago. This past weekend I noticed they had berries for the first time! The bushes have been severely neglected and are still quite small, maybe 18" tall and not very bushy either; I got 16 berries total off the two of 'em.

I *loved loved loved* them. They look exactly precisely like the catalog pics, and are quite juicy with a dark red juice that surely must stain like crazy :p They were juicy and tart and I would describe the flavor as somewhere halfway between good (wild) blueberries and maybe raspberries. My husband thought they were too tart but then he just generally doesn't like new foods or any berries aside from strawberries and wild blueberries. The kids thought they were super and were very disappointed when I said that was it til next year :p I suspect they will make very good jelly or jam, also for fresh eating.

The bushes are in an area of wet, heavy clay and almost completely consumed by weeds for two years, so it is not like these are bushes that need coddling :p

My life is a little "up in the air" right now, but if next winter it looks like I will continue to be living here for at least a few more years, I am SOOOOO ordering more of these things. And if not, then the next house I live at will definitely see me finding some room for some of them. I am a total convert, and have resolved to keep the bushes weeded and be much nicer to them over the next year, in hopes of a 'real' harvest next year!

Pat

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so glad you posted about the honeyberry! I have looked at them so many times in the catalogs, and wondered! Now, I know. And if you can grow them in Canada- I should be able to here...I have until next year to figure out where to put them. Did the birds seem overly attracted to them?

EBH

Leafing Out
Reaction score
For more info, see h-ttp://ediblebluehoneysuckle.wordpress.com/

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
This developer of honeyberries is just down the road from me. I went by to talk to them about getting some for me, and the lady that does the developing said to not bother. Too hot here. You do have some advantages further north.

http://www.berriesunlimited.com/honeyberries/cat_19.html
I find it humorus that the lady developing the honeyberries is developing them in a place that you shouldn't bother trying to grow them! :lol: Not laughing at you Ridgerunner! :lol: Guess this is one thing us northerners can plant with success.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
This quote is from their site. Her husband is into blueberries, so this might have somethng to do with it.

Berries Unlimited is located 6 miles from the University of Arkansass research facilities, which is considered one of the leading berry development universities in the world

They have two facilities up north. At least one is in Canada, but I can't remember exactly where either of them are. I was just pleased with her honesty.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, darn it! Guess I won't be growing any of these here, then - it's miserably hot for several months out of the year. Glad you are having sucess with them, though, Pat. Sounds like they are well worth growing. If you move, maybe you could dig them up and take them with you??? lol

Latest posts