Hateful thing

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I get those too... guess what... it is a green.... the seeds from birdy poo mainly. They also grow back out from roots and old roots.

Crepe Myrtles!!!! ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You mentioned that Roundup didn't work on them, regular Roundup is for soft green tissue. You would have to use something formulated for brush.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
You mentioned that Roundup didn't work on them, regular Roundup is for soft green tissue. You would have to use something formulated for brush.
Right, it was for grass and weeds, not brush. I'll have to get some and try it. Haven't head from the LSU Ag Center on what the heck it is yet. :(

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the chemical you are needing is called triclopyr, or tryclopir. something like that. It is for killing poison ivy, brushy, woody shrubs, etc. It takes a long time to work, as it gets into the roots, slowly. It does not kill grass, as far as I know. You can probably get a generic brand; just look for that chemical in the active ingredients.

jaj121159

Sprout
Reaction score
Tordon works to kill woody plants and stumps. Really powerful stuff so you don't need a lot.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
did you ever figure out what it was?!
nachoqtpie, no I never did. The Ag center never called me. Whatever they are, they don't like cold weather, but they thrive in the heat so I won't see them again until the summer. :rolleyes:

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
I get those too... guess what... it is a green.... the seeds from birdy poo mainly. They also grow back out from roots and old roots.

Crepe Myrtles!!!! ;)
I was also going to say that it looks like the crepe myrtles that pop up all over my yard and they are STUBBORN! I pull and 1 week later it's there again and even sometimes with small flowers!