Have a Great Thanksgiving!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I had the space, I would surely give them a try... Another thing to put on the list for the "someday" farm!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Have a safe trip Mike and a wonderful Thanksgiving!
So did you get those fruit trees delivered down there? What are you putting in?
Thanks everyone! ;)

Yes, The trees should be delivered today to NC, I'm going to plant Apple and Pear trees, antique heirloom varieties of course! :)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Enjoy! :)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Far as turkeys go Id put them in a tractor and when big enough they go to the processor and then put the tractor up for next year to repeat. Id handle them just like people do Cornish crosses. Fresh food, fresh water and keep moving the tractor daily.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving!

We had a WONDERFUL day :) I'm still full and couldn't possibly eat breakfast this morning. Hahahaha

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here I am . . . a day late (and more than a dollar short). . . hoping everyone had a great Thanksgiving Day.

I had a very nice day with a few folks over - some family and some friends. As I hosted the affair, I was pooped by day's end so Thursday ended pretty early for me and I never did get online at all Thursday.

The grandchildren, Gypsy (9) and Maverick (11), were a great help - peeled the yams and the three-colored potatoes, made the pie, the rolls, the salad, chopped carrots, celery, mushrooms, etc. for the meal.

Still, it would have been faster and easier to do it myself than to 'keep them company' supervising the work. Truly amazing was how much better they ate everything knowing they helped make it.

I really do like that turkey tractor idea. Just might make it work in another year or so. I've seen heirloom turkey breeds raised in an empty wire corn bin, so I know they don't need a lot of room, still I like the idea of moving the turkeys. Seems it would give them more food and healthier conditions.

NOT joining the Black Friday mobs. I'm stoking the fireplace and enjoying a quiet day with dear spouse.

Love, Smart Red

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope everyone had a GREAT Thanksgiving ! We had a fabulous Thanksgiving feast at one of my son's inlaws' ( city folk) 19th floor condo on the bank of the Willamite River with great river views as well as of the snowcovered Cascade Mts. My son's father in law baught a "fresh" turkey and had it in an electric roaster on the deck. The problem was that that turkey was FROZEN when he started the roasting and still RAW when it was supposed to be done. My son's sister in law called the high end grocer to complain ... the grocer then gave her an already roasted turkey which I had to show my son's father in law how to carve a turkey. My wife baked cherry pie, a rhubarb + blueberry cobler, and 2 pumpkin pies ( known as MMmmm pie to our grandkinds and their cousins). Some very fine wines from California, Oregon and Washington were consumed, before, during and after the feast. :drool A great time was had by all ! :ya

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hope everyone is recovering from the annual gorge. My DH and I drove to Nashville to have Thanksgiving with relatives, and to bring Mom back from a longer visit with my Sis. This was Sis's first year for doing the turkey. It turned out beautifully, even if they accidentally left the giblets in the bird. I made pies, and assisted with the making of the turkey gravy, which was a new experience for her. Upon first tasting, she loudly exclaimed "This is the best gravy EVER!" And it was, indeed.
I don't travel well at all (understatement) due to a chronic pain in the butt from a fall 6 years ago. So it was not fun, since I forgot to bring my very necessary pain pills. I did manage to camp out in the back seat with a bunch of pillows on the 5-hour trip home, so that wasn't as bad as it could have been. I have one more 5-6- hour travel day tomorrow, to go north for more relatives, then I can peacefully hibernate till Christmas. :weee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
One thing about Thanksgiving:

It tends to linger . . . in the fridge . . . around my waist . . . in the memory.

It is a little funny how youngsters can be so "hide-bound." That can't be a good word for young people :rolleyes:. But, there seems to be a balance in their characteristic willingness to accept the new while being rather insistent that the old preserve the past. Honestly, I'd be delighted, even thankful, to find 1 or 2 or 20 new traditions :).

Steve

Latest posts