have a lot of veggies and want to make a wonderful stew? Sancocho!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sancocho
a Latin American vegetable stew
I learned to make this in Panama and it seems there are recipes all over the place for this wonderful ..get your fingers in it stew!

there is no exact science to this so please make it with what you have on hand ..but for sure make it!!!!

Sancocho
6lbs of mixed beef soup bones with lots of meat on them (I combine neckbones, shanks and oxtails sometimes I add a cow foot as well) toss the meat well with salt and fresh cracked pepper and brown it under the broiler until a nice even browning is achieved ..then put it (juice and all in a big stock pot cover with water and half bottle of good dry red 2 large sliced sweet onions a bay leave a spoon of fresh ground allspice ...simmer not boiling for hours skim as needed during the cooking process

while this is going on

dice in big 2 inch chunks

1lb of cassava root
1 lb carrots
3 big green plantains
1 turnips
1 small cabbage cut in 8 pieces
when he meat is tender add the above to the soup and simmer until they are half cooked tender then add
2 lbs of firm potatoes also cut in 2 inch chunks

cut 3 large ears of sweet corn into 2 inch chunks and add at the end simmer just until done ..taste for seasonings

leave the meat on the bones do not cook it until it is disintegrated ..you want the meat to be flavorful and have some texture to it..the trick to this soup is for everything to be tender but to remain distinct in flavor and texture and it is a knack to get soup like this! ...

.fill bowls with soup and vegetables

serve with big cloth napkins and bowls of fresh garnishes
sliced radishes
crushed chile
lime wedges
dried oregano and fresh parsley or cilantro or both
crusty bread

Latest posts