Have to show off some of my Recycling finds,{please post your finds.}

sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I visit our recycling center on a weekly basis, sometimes more than 2 times a week,
some weeks there is nothing usefull but this last week has been productive and has me very pleased with my self.
Here are some pictures of what I found so far this week.

first the pots

001-14.jpg

dracaena magenta and sago palm

002-10.jpg

Ivy plants

003-9.jpg

Its been a good week although I wish I had gotten there before the person who snagged all the bigger planting pots.

sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oh I am so sorry to hear that, they can be the best places to get good finds.
I wish everywhere had places like this so everyone could reap the benifits of someone elses throw aways

sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
Nice find!
Someone just threw them away?

Joe
Yes, its amazing up here how many people just toss plants away with out thinking. they figure once summer is over there isnt much else left to do with them other than toss them out.
its sad, I am thinking of putting out a sign that reads:
will take all your un wanted plants, lol
(Oh hubby will be thrilled LOL NOT.

The Ivy in the hanger needs a lot of TLC to get it going nicely again , the soil was dry dry but it seems to have bounced back nicely so far.

The Sago has a few brown tips but otherwise looks healthy.
I cant wait for the dracaena to stratch up some.

I knew I spelled it wrong ( not very awake yet I guess)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh wow! I can't believe people would just through these out!!!

I'm always finding people selling plants and pots on craigslist... I would love to find a place like that around here. We don't have a recycling place in my county at all. In fact, we're fighting to get one built or recycling even collected. They are saying tax payers won't pay extra for it! I know I would!

Those are great though... those plants are very lucky you came and found them.

You just made me realize I have the dracaena magenta, mine is so tiny though. I didn't know how big they would get!?

sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
vfem said:
Oh wow! I can't believe people would just through these out!!!

I'm always finding people selling plants and pots on craigslist... I would love to find a place like that around here. We don't have a recycling place in my county at all. In fact, we're fighting to get one built or recycling even collected. They are saying tax payers won't pay extra for it! I know I would!

Those are great though... those plants are very lucky you came and found them.

You just made me realize I have the dracaena magenta, mine is so tiny though. I didn't know how big they would get!?
A friend of mine has one that's nearly 10 ft tall.
She does Garden Design.
Set it in a room with 12' vaulted ceilings with sky lights and left it to grow at will.
It has grown into a tree, though they are slow growing and it takes many years to reach that size.
I am supposed to be picking up Her Dracaena sometime this weekend, she will be moving and will have no place to keep it.
I have 10 ft ceilings here and it will just fit where I am going to put it.
When it gets here I will take pictures.
My only issue with this plant is the fact that stalks do not thicken up to support the weight of the breach's.

There is always cutting and rooting stalks to bring it under control but I find that offensive to such a large plant.
What I may do is if I find it bending on its own weight get the tallest plant stakes available and if necessary put more than one together to increase the height of the stake to accommodate the height of the tree.

I find it sad in this day and age that more cities and towns are not going for a full recycling center. so much waste with out them.
A well run recycling center can pay for itself with out town folk having to pay a lot to dispose of unneeded materials.
plastics, metals, furniture ,glass, can all be sold to cover operating costs, with minimal cost to the people.
Although I can see paying $5.00 for disposal of a couch, refrigerator, stove etc. As long as the center kept costs low and prices reasonable it would benefit many people including those who can not afford to go out and buy new.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been harvesting foam coolers from our lab and pharmacy I paint them to look like stones and then use them as pots

nope no pics now...I ran out of film!

Latest posts