sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
Not to get off topic but here is a link to some of my Dracaena;

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26634

I have a lot more to put on there yet.

Joe
Acutally not off topic at all after reading the posts in the other link, it all ties onto recycling.
tossed plants, worked in cuttings for work done, lol it all fits nicely into this thread.

Chances are the brown leaves on the tossed plant was due to over waterings. had they just cut back on the water it would have likely been a lovely plant.

Edit to add:
When I get the 10 ft plant here I will post in your thread if you dont mind, being new here I dont want to over step my boundries.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We don't have a recycling depot like that but I have been lucky on several occasions. I belong to freecycle and have gotten great free stuff people were giving away. ( http://www.freecycle.org/ )
I've belonged to several in different places I've lived and some are better than others. I have also got free pots, trays, etc at garage sales. Sometimes they have a giveaway table or give stuff away at the end of the sale to get rid of stuff that didn't sell. I also have gotten pots and trays from a grocery store. They had two big bags by the checkout and the clerk said to help myself. Sometimes you just have to ask. The worst that can happen is they will say no, and the best is that you go home with your trunk full. :celebrate

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sunstar please do add your pictures to my thread, or any of my threads if you like!

If you look a lot of my stuff is recycled! I love to create something out of nothing!

We have a recycle center here but they don't let you take anything!
Funny thing is I did a job for a guy that works there. You should have seen all the crap he had collected!

Joe

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Film at 11:00

counting_30.gif

Joe

sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I cant help but be cheap/frugel lol. every dollar saved on one thing is an extra dollar for something special.
I was raised by depression era grandparents so learned early on where to pinch and where to splurge.

If i can save $15.00 not having to buy seed trays pots and markers, thats $15.00 for a special buy on a special plant.
{usually some sort of Orchid }
My next Orchid I am saving up for is Phaius grandifolius ( Nun Orchid)Which up here can run between $50.00 and $ 75.00
I lost the one I had 3 years ago in a house fire.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great way of thinking!

Sorry to hear about the fire! I hope no one was hurt.

When you are ready for this Orchid PM me and I can save you a bundle! I have a few friends that do pretty much just Orchids. The nice lady I just got a ton of plants from has a few hundred Orchids!

Joe

sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
Great way of thinking!

Sorry to hear about the fire! I hope no one was hurt.

When you are ready for this Orchid PM me and I can save you a bundle! I have a few friends that do pretty much just Orchids. The nice lady I just got a ton of plants from has a few hundred Orchids!

Joe
Thank You Joe I will be sure to take you up on the offer.

No no one was hurt, I mananged to get the child, husband, and most of the animals out before it got bad,
I did lose some hair length to flash over trying to go bacn in after the last of the animals.
Only lost the 3 because of the flash over.
Unfortunately I lost all my beautiful plants that were inside, the ones in the green house were left unscathed.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
sunstar said:
I cant help but be cheap/frugel lol. every dollar saved on one thing is an extra dollar for something special.
I was raised by depression era grandparents so learned early on where to pinch and where to splurge.
Amen to that!! Save your money for the fun stuff! :throw

Here is my compost tumbler that my husband and I built a couple years ago. Pay $300 for a tumbler? Not I! I got the 55 gallon plastic drum from my brother who used to have a pressure washing business and used all scrap lumber for the frame. It has 3 milk crates below (behind the lattice) to hold surplus kitchen scraps until the next go 'round. The only thing I had to buy was the bolts, hinges and handles.

If you wanted to make your own, a good source for the barrels would be an automatic carwash. They get them for their soap.

6486_dscf1895.jpg

These I got from my dad's farm (my grandpa's before him). I'm going to use them for "garden art". The first is a door off of my great-great-grandma's cast iron cook stove. I really like the floral pattern on it and I thought that it was really neat to have something with geneological value in my garden. (btw--I also have heirloom iris and daffodils that were hers as well). The other is an old furrowing blade off of my grandpa's tractor.

6486_dscf1893.jpg

6486_dscf1894.jpg

One of my favorite things to recycle in the garden is the 5 and 3 gallon plastic buckets you can get from the deli, free for the asking. I use them for chicken feeders, utility buckets and I drill some with holes in the bottom and put one on each corner of my garden to toss rocks and debris into. The holes let the rain drain out so I am not harboring mosquitoes.

When I do my spring pruning, I save all the branches off of my apple trees for kindling. They are perfect come fall.

You guys would not believe what I found at my local recycling center last night! Some one had dropped off a bay window that was about 5x6 feet. That would make a *perfect* cold frame, heck maybe a mini-greenhouse... I couldn't get it in my car though! It was too big. My DH has his truck torn apart working on it and I am afraid it will not be there time I get to go back for it. :fl The recycle center won't even take it--they don't want plate glass (although they will probably want the aluminum frame around it).

Latest posts