heading for the border - ID/WA!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This part of the world even has its own species of prickly pear cactus (Opuntia columbiana).

Rather startling to come on it a little too suddenly when climbing around on the rock walls of a canyon :).

Steve

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Eastern WA is like a whole different part of the world! I think I'll stick with my soggy Seattle weather. I have dry skin in this high humidity atmosphere... I'd turn into a giant dry flake over there!

Greg R.

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm outside of Duvall about 1,000 feet up. It's another world here in the winter we drive mile down the hill and nothing.
Right now just over an inch of snow on the ground it's beautiful.
Chickens here still go out in the snow.
I like to throw them some bird seed in the snow it keeps them busy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is kind of fun to look back thru this 5 year old thread . . .

I believe I've said a "welcome."

I also remember looking some time ago at the location of your little community, Greg. I haven't been up the hill from Woodinville but know you are kind of, sort of, off in the direction of Mt. Baker. What a beautiful part of the country!

And by the way, why is it "Woodinville" instead of "Woodenville" - somebody's name? Been to St. Michelle Winery! You must have beautiful views and local wine, right there at your lawn chair!

Steve

Greg R.

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey Steve. No idea on the history of Woodinvilles name.
If you ever get a chance to come visit Woodinville again you should try to make it a concert at St. Michelle Winery.
What a beautiful setting there to sit out on the lawn and just relax and enjoy good music.

Duvall 20 years ago like a lot of towns around here use to be considered the country.
Now so many developers and so many people from the TECH industry from the good old days built out here we got McMansions all over the place now.
They brought their city ways with them paving their driveways, Installing out door lights everywhere.

I'm surprised we still get to have chickens.

They build in the woods then complain about seeing cougars and bears come into their yards.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Still love it here but it sure has changed.

If I ever figure out a way to make a living beside doing drywall I'd move over to Conconully area.
Omak, Republic, love those area's.

My yard is just about maxed out for gardening here.
Just bought ten more blueberry plants and of course they take lot of room.
I decided I need to really get into vertical gardening.

Well, there is my rant and my rambling all in one post. LOL!

BTW. I believe it was you long ago who showed a picture of one of your gardens and you had very successful looking garden growing.
What was the point of your post was you pointing out all the rocks in the soil but you still able to grow and the rocks actually heated the soil.

I had never thought of it that way.
Rocks do take in the days heat then release it as the temperature changes.

Reminds me of how we are so programmed to have grass yards when if everyone had less grass and planted more hunger wouldn't be a problem in this country but that's another subject.
I just thought that picture was so cool and such an encouragement for those with rocky soil.

Tried to find that picture few months back and couldn't.
Thought it was you?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Conconully? You sure like those little towns, Greg! I had to look it up in Wikipedia. Okay, next valley up from Methow . . . 185 people. . . looks real pretty on the map with the nice big lake of the same name. How come I didn't know about that place 20 miles up "Conconully Road" from Omak? Now, everybody else can ask, "Where's Omak? Methow? ;)"

This might be the picture, Greg:

Hartson+003.jpg

I remember quite a few comments about the rocks around that 2nd planting of carrots . . . People need to understand that I only plant carrot seed in my LEAST rocky beds! They have a tough time growing there, too. At least it is "pea gravel" in that bed. I've pulled pebbles out of the ground elsewhere that have been difficult for me to carry.

Steve ;)

Greg R.

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Steve. Thanks for picture.
Such a hard habit to break throwing out rocks from my raised beds.
After I saw your posts though I thought hey I been brainwashed.
Few rocks aren't bad and they can hold heat and release it come night time temps so they do serve a purpose.

Conconully, if you ever get the chance is a wonderful place to go visit.
Hiking, fishing, etc.
There is a road that goes high up in the mountain there to homes way up high.
The road is very scary driving in some spots.
The view is unreal though and worth it.

MWHITLEY

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi All! I'm from Omak! Nice to see someone knows the wonders of living in Eastern wa! :coolsun

Latest posts