jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
So pepper jelly it is:
20211105_234004.jpg

The color, flavor, and consistency of "Trinidad Perfume" is a perfect fit for this recipe. Thanks, @Ridgerunner ! It took hours to de-seed these tiny wrinkled peppers, but time well spent... I ended up with enough for a quadruple batch. No heat at all, and the flavor is more citrusy than pepper-like, almost orange marmalade. There might be more than just cranberry sauce out this Thanksgiving. :celebrate

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
So pepper jelly it is:
Thanks for the feedback, glad it worked for you. Sweet pepper jelly is one of my favorites. Beautiful brilliant color and I think it tastes really good. I'm a little surprised it is that orange looking from those yellow peppers but it's always fun to try.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So pepper jelly it is:
View attachment 45062
The color, flavor, and consistency of "Trinidad Perfume" is a perfect fit for this recipe. Thanks, @Ridgerunner ! It took hours to de-seed these tiny wrinkled peppers, but time well spent... I ended up with enough for a quadruple batch. No heat at all, and the flavor is more citrusy than pepper-like, almost orange marmalade. There might be more than just cranberry sauce out this Thanksgiving. :celebrate

if anything very useful as a base for BBQ sauces or other marinades. :) looks great! :) p.s. i don't think it would hurt to leave a few seeds or to add some pepper flakes to it for color/variety's sake. i can imagine this also being useful as a flavor layer for a lot of other dishes. my mouth is running with drool... :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
if anything very useful as a base for BBQ sauces or other marinades. :) looks great! :) p.s. i don't think it would hurt to leave a few seeds or to add some pepper flakes to it for color/variety's sake. i can imagine this also being useful as a flavor layer for a lot of other dishes. my mouth is running with drool... :)
Wow. you've really given me ideas to think about. I hadn't thought (yet) about using this jelly as an ingredient, but the strong flavor opens up a lot of possibilities. Mixing it into BBQ sauce sounds like an interesting idea, I'll have to play around with that one... maybe soon, with the bowl of left-overs. I tried some on toast this morning; a little too strong for me to eat that way, but it might be good as a condiment in a chicken sandwich.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had some fun one winter making a rhubarb BBQ sauce. It was very tasty!

I can imagine a very good BBQ sauce made from those Habanero peppers.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow. you've really given me ideas to think about. I hadn't thought (yet) about using this jelly as an ingredient, but the strong flavor opens up a lot of possibilities. Mixing it into BBQ sauce sounds like an interesting idea, I'll have to play around with that one... maybe soon, with the bowl of left-overs. I tried some on toast this morning; a little to strong for me to eat that way, but it might be good as a condiment in a chicken sandwich.

if it is that strong then it will likely work really well in Thai style cooking as citrus and pepper notes to go along with the holy Duology of garlic and ginger... just a bit. see what DW thinks. :) i'd be super hyped to try it in various ways too after having eaten dishes other ways i always like to try them with new things too.

recently we got a replacement bottle of mushroom flavored soy sauce. the first bottle we bought a few years ago was much milder than this new bottle and Mom used a lot of it in some soup and all i can think of is molasses when i taste that soup. it's not bad, but it sure isn't the milder version. haha... :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So pepper jelly it is:
View attachment 45062
Beautiful pepper jelly jars! I imagine it's incredibly delicious given how unique and aromatic that pepper variety is. Good thing you took the time to de-seed your peppers so well. For several years now my neighbour gets all my hot peppers and makes jelly out of them for us, and takes his cut of course. In the years when I didn't save seeds as much he used all the many small peppers with seeds intact and the jelly didn't set very firm though the taste was excellent. Now that I remove all my seeds before handing them off, the pepper jelly is all setting very well. He thinks the pepper seeds affected the jelly setting.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the years when I didn't save seeds as much he used all the many small peppers with seeds intact and the jelly didn't set very firm though the taste was excellent. Now that I remove all my seeds before handing them off, the pepper jelly is all setting very well. He thinks the pepper seeds affected the jelly setting.
Possible. The seeds may release enzymes when heated. In the case of the "Trinidad Perfume" peppers, the set may have had more to do with their low water content, and their firmness. Even after fairly long chopping in the food processor, the peppers weren't ground to mush. This "jelly" has the texture of a marmalade (you can tell by where I scraped the spatula against the side of the bowl). Thin-walled peppers may actually work better. I'm anxious now to try this recipe with the C. baccatum pepper "Aji Cristal", the next time I grow it... but that one will be hot, even with seeds removed.

Latest posts