Heat mat alternative

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've been doing some experimenting this year and have found an alternative to using a heat mat for starting my tomatoes, eggplant and peppers... at least it's working for me!

I was being a cheapskate, umm, frugal when I wanted to start some seeds and go to thinking that it's warm soil they like. So I expanded my little soil pellets in HOT water and have been watering from the bottom with VERY WARM water. House heat is on 68. Everything was up within a week and is now about ready for the garden. Tomatoes have been potted up twice and are looking phenomenal. Hope to get them out to the wall-o-water jungle next week. Eggplant and peppers got started later, but are also doing great.

Also had read about using a spray of really strong chamomile tea to prevent damping off. Used it last year after I had a problem and was able to save some seedlings, so this year I started misting as soon as I had seedlings. No problems at all on anything...tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, broccoli, basil, oregano, and a whole bunch of flowers...so thought I'd share the results.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DesertCat, I have often felt cruel putting flats into cold, outdoor water once they are in the greenhouse. They are still "just babies" when they go out there and I fuss around about the air temperature and then plunge them into 55 water every few days . . . Try to do it early in the morning after their 60 overnight.

Yeah, my house is 68 thru the day. It is a little warmer above the fridge and stays that way when the heat goes down to about 62 when we go to bed. The cabinet above the fridge is even a little warmer than the top of the fridge. Used to be that the cooling tubes were in the back of refrigerators but those days must be gone. Still, warm air rises.

Some folks say they use the tops of their insulated water heater but I'd need to really get a good idea about the temperature on that thing!

Thanks for the news on the chamomile also. I wonder if anything else (like chamomile's cousin feverfew) would work, too . . .

Steve

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When is the best time to start using the tea to prevent damping off. Should I use it right away or when I transplant?

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I start misting with the tea as soon as I start to see germination. Chamomile has some anti-fungal properties and the sooner it's applied, the better it works. I have some slower germinating seeds planted now that I'm misting even before they sprout.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You know, I have never heard of a heat mat until last year. Never really tried to start my seedlings indoors before, either, but my mom, grandmother, and aunt all did when I was a kid & I remember "helping" them. Never once did I see a heat mat. They would put them in a warm place in the house on a folded up old towel. Never saw a grow light, either.

I started my seedlings the same way in my house this year. First time I've ever started seedlings. No heat mat. They're doing very well. I do have a plant bulb on them, though. Some of them started out really leggy so I put in the light, and things seem to be going much smoother. There are a few I'm going to have to toss out and re-do because they got too leggy before I put up the grow light. We keep our house pretty warm, and I keep my seedlings in the warmest room of the house which stays at about 68, so I'm able to do this with the light only and no heating mat.

Dunno how they did it "back in the olden days" before plastic greenhouses, electric seedling mats, or grow lights.

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
What I really miss as a heat mat alternative is the good ole console TVs! I've never had much luck with the top of the refrigerator...not enough room for plants AND the cat ;) The TV, on the other hand, was at a good height, lots of room and usually had a wall suitable for hanging a grow light.

Latest posts