Heat source for greenhouse?

Chickie2378

Leafing Out
Reaction score
wouldn't fumes from propane and kerosene be more harmful to plants in an enclosed small space? just wondering.

edited to say, is there anywhere in the home you can winter them over? I am lucky I have a monster mudroom and it works as a catchall for things like that.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! Ugh! I'm so frustrated! I went to Home Depot after work and did get a propane heater - not going to work, it's only a 1lb cylinder so it won't last long. It can be used indoors it says so I thought it would be perfect. Here is a link I found to heat the GH with propane.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5875700_heat-greenhouses-non_vented-propane-heater.html

I have a 20 lb cylinder and can get a heater top thingy for $39. I just need a quick fix until the weekend can get here because the low temps for the next three days are going to be in the 20's.

Thistle, where does one get a frost blanket?

The aloe plant stayed out all winter last year - I believe we had a few teen lows - it looked really bad, but recovered nicely.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used the term "frost blanket" but really it's just a heavier weight of row cover ( spun polyester ). You should be able to find them at a garden center. I got one from Ace hardware last year.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Update - well, my dad ran electric to the greenhouse and I put a 250w heat lamp in last night but it kept the greenhouse at around 37 degrees.

My boss was kind enough to let me have a 20lb propane tank that is full and a tank top heater. I turned it on when I got home, cracked the vent on the roof and it's been holding at 60 degrees. The outside temp right now is 36 degrees. I'm hoping this will work!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might consider a small oil filled electric radiator, or 1500 watt fan forced air electric heater with thermostat. ($19 Home Depot) I have used both with success. I use a timer and have them run from nine at night until nine in the morning. The greenhouse will hold residual heat from the day, and I have a remote thermometer that I can monitor the temperature from the house. The thermostat is set to 45 degrees, and the units do not run constantly, unless it is really cold. However, I close the greenhouse in mid November until mid March, as we have AWFUL winters where I live. I don't love New York. :/

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
jack, thank you for the advice. I'd much prefer an electric heater with a timer - I found the heater you mentioned. If I put concrete pavers down will that help to hold in heat - or should I put down gravel?

thanks.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
jack, thank you for the advice. I'd much prefer an electric heater with a timer - I found the heater you mentioned. If I put concrete pavers down will that help to hold in heat - or should I put down gravel?

thanks.
I used both. It not only holds the heat, but I spray it with water in the hot weather so evaporation cools the greenhouse. Here is what I mean about New York.

22711.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I placed a photo of the greenhouse which shows the heater and floor on your post regarding your greenhouse.
Jack

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
JackB that looks like the green house I am looking at. Is it 6x8 ft? I live in Ohio which has the most unpredictable weather. If I could grow in a green house I could down size some of my gardening and increase my actual veggie production because we could have a fresh as the store puts out. Fresher because it wouldn't be shipped from Mexico or beyond.