Height of raised beds and walkways

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It really only needs to be deep enough to hold the appropriate amount of soil for growing what you want to grow, I think. Ours is only about 10" and does fine. If I go 4' wide, I like to be able to access it from both sides so I don't ever have to walk in it...keeps the soil from compacting. If I had a long, narrow space like that, I'd think about putting 2 feet on either side with the grass or whatver is on the ground in between. That way you can kneel or sit on the edge and reach to the back for maintenance.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i use concrete cinder blocks stacked two tall, so it's 16"high. i have three beds 4' x 20'. of course they're not right outside the back door. they are a good height for me to work in. i can sit on the edge & work if i need to. i have 4' between the beds to accomodate my wheel barrow.
the change i am making this year is the top of the bed. last year i had it rather domed shape. the soil level was a little above the cinder blocks. consequently when i watered, it just wanted to run off. this year, i have them flat and one even slightly concave. since they're raised there's no chance of soggy - but now water can be better absorbed.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Of course, once the plants are going, it's going to look great anyhow. But if she knocks it down to 10" and uses the extra to build a second bed she'll get double the planting space! Assuming she has room for another bed, that is...

If not, maybe she'll give it to you! :D
Journey, I think the plants once they get going are really going to make that bed look even taller? She nor I have room for an extra bed. If she took it down she would only be able to make 2 beds that were 4x8. I guess it's not worth the extra work. But I'm going to try to convince her to move it closer to the house. She's not planning on filling it until in 2 weeks. We'll see.

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our beds are made of 2X10's so they are only 10 inches deep. We have tilled the soil under them which was mostly clay, Added compost and set the beds on top of that adding good soil and compsost. The plants have no problem with them being that shallow. It is going to take a LOT of dirt to fill those. Ours are not 4 foot wide but they are 30 feet LONG. :) I would have trouble reaching all the way across a 4 foot bed. So be sure to leave room between house and bed to work from both sides. They are out in a large empty lot no house to consider. Good Luck.

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
There is nothing to be gained from dividing the space into smaller beds. Just lost growing space in my mind. My beds are only 12 inches high, but I'd not mind them being a bit taller and easier to reach.

Good idea to keep it away from the house drip edge for several reasons -most already mentioned. She will need access to both sides to keep the bed cleaned and tidy.

I don't see anything wrong with what you've described. Perhaps once the garden is growing you will better see the beauty in your daughter's raised bed.
The idea that you gave to your daughter however you should also consider the fact that cleaning too long garden beds is quite difficult.

Latest posts