Heirloom seeds

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Where do you get heirloom seeds to start? I have heard of a couple places, but I would love to hear input from people on where they order from and what they thought of the company.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like Baker Creek as well, and also buy from Kitchen Garden Seeds & Shumways. Not all of their seeds (KGS & Shumways) are heirloom, but they have a pretty good selection.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had looked at Seed Savers Exchange a few days ago and went back to look last night. My wish list is already 3 pages and about $120 :/ . I will check out the other companies mentioned as well, thanks for the suggestions!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Baker's Creek is also real nice. I never ordered before but it is way worth ordering it. It was beautiful. One of the best I have ever seen and is more of an art piece.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I belonged to Seedsavers for years. The catalog is mammoth! They have their non member catalog that you can order from, too. Their philosophy is to not duplicate what members are selling in the public catalogs.
You can find just about anything from most countries. There is a yearly fee and if you offer something for sale you get a further discount. I actually made a nice profit selling my seeds which were seeds that I bought there and the original person offering them had a crop failure which opened up a niche.

ETA- the member's catalog doesn't have photos, you need to either be very adventurous or knowledgeable. The public catalog has pics.

Heirloomer

Sprout
Reaction score
I actually sell the Seed Savers seed. I have a set of their seed racks in my barn/store. We have a CSA and a garden center at our house where we also sell the plants that I have started in the greenhouse. We have just finished our selling season and are now focusing on the CSA.

All of our produce comes from plants grown from SSE seeds. There is an incredible variety and the people there are very helpful. I get the seed wholesale by having the seed racks and can send unsold seed back to them up to a certain point so it works out pretty well for me.

Latest posts