Hello From A New Member In Greensboro, NC

Ben E Lou

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greetings!

My name is Ben and this forum was just recommended to me. I started a last-minute vegetable garden last spring with six 4x4 beds for veggies, and a 100ish sq-foot area where I just threw a bunch of wildflower seeds to attract pollinators. Some things did reasonably well, while others didn't, but I had absolutely no pre-planning or anything. I was basically in Home Depot, saw a bunch of seeds for $0.50 per packet, and decided to grow a garden. in prepping for 2019, I've done a ton more research, taken some classes via my local extension service, created some compost piles that should be ready for 2019 planting, and have my plan and budget around 90% complete already! My back yard is roughly 12000 sq ft with abundant sunshine, and I hope to use around 1000 sq ft of that this coming year

I look forward to gleaning some wisdom from y'all, and hopefully to contributing to the conversation.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Ben! Sounds like you are well armed for this coming year with some planning and experience from last year. You will enjoy this great group of people. Not to be an enabler but I just saw on the Baker Creek catalog that they offer free shipping with no minimum. This is a big deal for me as I am one of those that hates to pay for shipping, especially when I only need 1 or 2 packages of seeds.

Mary

Ben E Lou

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up, @ninnymary! Yeah, I've already been irritated to see how many seeds I have to buy from the online places. I mean, I'm only going to grow like four squash plants; I don't need 50 seeds!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greetings!

My name is Ben and this forum was just recommended to me. I started a last-minute vegetable garden last spring with six 4x4 beds for veggies, and a 100ish sq-foot area where I just threw a bunch of wildflower seeds to attract pollinators. Some things did reasonably well, while others didn't, but I had absolutely no pre-planning or anything. I was basically in Home Depot, saw a bunch of seeds for $0.50 per packet, and decided to grow a garden. in prepping for 2019, I've done a ton more research, taken some classes via my local extension service, created some compost piles that should be ready for 2019 planting, and have my plan and budget around 90% complete already! My back yard is roughly 12000 sq ft with abundant sunshine, and I hope to use around 1000 sq ft of that this coming year

I look forward to gleaning some wisdom from y'all, and hopefully to contributing to the conversation.
Hey Be. We love giving advice. Add your zone to your profile and we can be of more help.