Hello From Dubuque, IA!

R3bauer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello all! My name is Adam and I am 40 year old husband, veteran and father. I am starting to homestead my 5 acre home with a small (150 sq ft) raised bed garden and 11 chickens. My youngest son (13) helps me with the garden and yard. I have about 1.5 acres that are currently mowable and the rest is woodland.

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@R3bauer :

A big welcome from down in Alabam'

You'll never find a more helpful, knowledgeable forum than this good place right here! Best of luck in starting out, and make sure to keep us posted on your progress. Also, as the wife of a veteran, thanks kindly for the service you provided to our country. I've seen too many folks this day in age disrespect our military and vets, so I just wanted to show a bit of gratitude!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello all! My name is Adam and I am 40 year old husband, veteran and father. I am starting to homestead my 5 acre home with a small (150 sq ft) raised bed garden and 11 chickens. My youngest son (13) helps me with the garden and yard. I have about 1.5 acres that are currently mowable and the rest is woodland.

:frow@R3bauer :welcome from about an hour south! Near Davenport, IA! Glad to have you gardening with us.

Y'all are neighbors! An hour's drive is nothing, y'all need to visit each other! Several of us on BYH have met and we do a lunch every so often.

Adam, welcome to the forum. Growing your own food is not only good for your tummy, it is good for your soul. Congrats on the homestead, can't wait to hear more about it!

We have 8 acres with 3 horses, 11 sheep, 7 Muscovy ducks, 3 dogs and a crap load of chickens!

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Y'all are neighbors! An hour's drive is nothing, y'all need to visit each other! Several of us on BYH have met and we do a lunch every so often.

Adam, welcome to the forum. Growing your own food is not only good for your tummy, it is good for your soul. Congrats on the homestead, can't wait to hear more about it!

We have 8 acres with 3 horses, 11 sheep, 7 Muscovy ducks, 3 dogs and a crap load of chickens!

You have three horses now ~ Great and Muscovy ~ folks had them on the ranch ~ they use to stand around in a circle and hiss and gossip ~ one day a wild duck ~ came down ~ exhausted from flying ~ and stayed forever ~ n ~ she eventually ~ would gather in the grope ~ and gossip with them ~ sorry ~ had to say that here ```

R3bauer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I jacked up my right elbow so my youngest son (13) has been doing the heavy lifting today. He cleared a 5ft×20ft overgrown burm, an area around some trees and the started to clean out our 10ft×10ft garden to get ready for our 3 5ft×10ft raised beds.
As far as animals we have 4 American shorthair cats, a 11 month old female Boxer, a green cheek conure, a turtle and 11 chicks, 5 ISA Browns and 6 Black Australorps.

Latest posts