Hello from Kansas

Tehwrd

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello!

After far too many years in the city, we are finally getting a place out in the country. My husband's job has entailed several moves, so we've been renting and finally found a 3 acre parcel to rent. It has a green house and a garden space already established and the owner was very much into preserving the harvests from her gardens. There have been at least a couple of renters there before us and unfortunately they did not have the same care for the greenhouse and garden areas that the owner did. They are now very overgrown and a giant mess. We will be moving July 15. My profile picture is what the area looked like when the owner was getting ready to rent it out ... now imagine it with 3'+ weeds and who knows what else growing in there. We are looking forward to getting out there and cleaning out those two areas first. I'm not sure that I'll be able to get them cleaned out in time to get some things planted for a fall harvest so I'm thinking maybe we should plant a cover crop and then make sure to get it tilled under in February-ish before it goes to seed. I've never used cover crops, but have learned a lot since our last gardening experience. We had a wonderful garden when we lived in Oregon some 16 or so years ago and I miss the fresh seasonal vegetables and being able to can and freeze the extras. Our goal is to move toward as much self sufficiency as we can. We will be getting some meat chickens and some layers and in February/March getting some diary goats. We will be seeding areas for forage for the chickens as well as the goats. I'm learning tons about regenerative farming practices and using the animals to help improve pastures. I'm looking forward to exploring the forums.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello!

After far too many years in the city, we are finally getting a place out in the country. My husband's job has entailed several moves, so we've been renting and finally found a 3 acre parcel to rent. It has a green house and a garden space already established and the owner was very much into preserving the harvests from her gardens. There have been at least a couple of renters there before us and unfortunately they did not have the same care for the greenhouse and garden areas that the owner did. They are now very overgrown and a giant mess. We will be moving July 15. My profile picture is what the area looked like when the owner was getting ready to rent it out ... now imagine it with 3'+ weeds and who knows what else growing in there. We are looking forward to getting out there and cleaning out those two areas first. I'm not sure that I'll be able to get them cleaned out in time to get some things planted for a fall harvest so I'm thinking maybe we should plant a cover crop and then make sure to get it tilled under in February-ish before it goes to seed. I've never used cover crops, but have learned a lot since our last gardening experience. We had a wonderful garden when we lived in Oregon some 16 or so years ago and I miss the fresh seasonal vegetables and being able to can and freeze the extras. Our goal is to move toward as much self sufficiency as we can. We will be getting some meat chickens and some layers and in February/March getting some diary goats. We will be seeding areas for forage for the chickens as well as the goats. I'm learning tons about regenerative farming practices and using the animals to help improve pastures. I'm looking forward to exploring the forums.

hello and welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan. :) cover crops can help control weeds, but it does matter what weed species you are dealing with and what cover crops you put in.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
A lot of cover crops will winter kill for you.

Welcome to group.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You're certainly on the way to being self sufficient, good for you. I will be looking forward to reading how you are doing and learning a few things. Oh yes I forgot, welcome to this friendly garden forum ;)