Hello from Nebraska

Lori B

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:frow Hi, Lori. Welcome to the forum. It's good to see you jumping right in. :frow No need to be shy. We generally don't bite in public, at least with new members. :hide

I understand those urges. I've started kale and chard seeds already. By the time they are big enough I should be able to set them out for early greens here. It won't be that long before I start some sweet potatoes for slips and in about a month I'll start my warm weather seeds, eggplant, pepper, and tomato. It's not the same as getting your hands dirty though.
I have my onions seeds started, but my brassica's will have to wait a while. Starting plants inside is better than just looking out the window and yearning...

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Lori, I'm another beanaholic, I keep saying that's enough, not another bean, not working tho, I'm up to 225+ varieties in my bean stash. I had to buy a freezer to keep most of the seed in as there's quite a few varieties I haven't grown yet. I keep finding another one that needs saving and even if I pass it along to someone else, I can't seem to help myself I keep a sample of it in my stash. It's like eating peanuts, you just can't stop at one :). I grow mostly pole beans, my garden isn't very big but I manage to grow quite a few varieties each year. I haven't run into any crossing yet but I do bag a few flowers on each pole in case I run into a problem. I'm across the border on Vancouver Island zone 7b.
Annette

Lori B

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi Lori, I'm another beanaholic, I keep saying that's enough, not another bean, not working tho, I'm up to 225+ varieties in my bean stash. I had to buy a freezer to keep most of the seed in as there's quite a few varieties I haven't grown yet. I keep finding another one that needs saving and even if I pass it along to someone else, I can't seem to help myself I keep a sample of it in my stash. It's like eating peanuts, you just can't stop at one :). I grow mostly pole beans, my garden isn't very big but I manage to grow quite a few varieties each year. I haven't run into any crossing yet but I do bag a few flowers on each pole in case I run into a problem. I'm across the border on Vancouver Island zone 7b.
Annette
Exactly! I do love the pole beans as you get more for the space.

I loved visiting Vancouver a couple of years ago. It is so beautiful there. Missed visiting the gardens there though, just not enough time. Will have to go again.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Lori from the bay area. Winters are mild here so I could grow year round if I put some effort into it. ;) Actually, I did try to have a fall garden this past year but something (maybe birds) kept eating my starts even with secured netting around them.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from northeast Texas! So glad to have you here, a bunch of friendly folks here. Did anybody mention pictures? We love pictures!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
welcome from NH! if you are ever interested in Glass Gem corn seeds give me a shout. i've had them in my garden the past 2 years and they have done well for me. but there is a trick to catching them at the right stage to eat. i mostly use them for feed corn for my chickens.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
heh, i haven't had enough that i can completely supplement their feed yet. it's been mostly a treat when i get small side ears that just aren't doing well.

i used to have an easter egger in my flock the 1st 2 years i had chickens. i wish i still had her. but i do get some whites/pinks/browns for eggs. and the occasional peahen egg. my peas have been laying out of season for me this year! :idunnomust be the lights i keep on for some extra hours.

i have an experimental red ultra-sweet corn i'm going to grow this year. it's called Zola's Rose from J & L Gardens out of New Mexico. now this will be an interesting one to watch!

Latest posts