Hello from North Idaho

Arrakis

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We are just getting started. We planted a small orchard last summer and have a couple of small raised beds. Apples, pears, plums, cherries & hazel nuts. The only real success we've had has been garlic, so we filled our beds with it this fall. Big plans summer 2017 to put in a proper garden. Trees and stumps will need to be removed so I'm guessing garlic will be most of what we plant next fall unless I can get it done sooner than later.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow from nearby!

Your choices in the orchard sure look good to me. What variety of plums?

Hazelnuts are wonderful little trees. At least, every one I see around here is. They seem to grow well with very little attention. And, they were very productive.

How about an apricot? There was one in a vacant lot near my old home. I don't know how long it had been there with no care, no irrigation. I put in a garden beside it but I don't really think my sprinklers made much difference that first year. It put out a nice lot of fruit, that year and each of the years I was there.

Welcome to the forum!

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
sSig_welcome4.gif
from southern VA

Arrakis

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:frow from nearby!

Your choices in the orchard sure look good to me. What variety of plums?
One is Satsuma (I think that's the name) and I don't remember the other. I'd have to check.

What zone are you in ? I am also putting in a small orchard in zone 5/6. Unfortunately the wildlife is enjoying the fruit :he
I'm just inside 5B.

Arrakis

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Arrakis, Before giving welcome, I'd like to know which planet you were on before landing on Earth. Hope to hear more of your interest in gardening. Thank you Richard an Earthling.

Been in Idaho only once and was impressed with the part of the country I was able to see.

Happy you came by and well, OK Welcome.

I'm not sure many people pick up on the origin of the user name. I've used it for a long time.

Latest posts