Hello from northeast Texas!

Wyndsong

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I found this site through BackYardChickens, where I have the same name on all the sister sites. My husband, elderly mother and I just moved into a house on 6.5 acres. We were going to start a small raised bed garden this spring, but then I had to have back surgery. We ended up planting a bunch of onions in a Green Stalk vertical planter and some directly into the ground. Just to have planted SOMETHING. LOL Some of them seem to be growing, not sure any of them are ready to harvest yet. It was experimental and we knew that we'd probably not be able to take care of them. Hoping we can at least plant something after July to have a fall/winter garden. But for now we're focusing on getting some chickens. We have lots of plans for our land! Excited to get started, even though I'm delayed quite a bit, I know that when I've fully recovered, gardening and tending animals will be great exercise!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, Wyndsong. My grandmother was born in NE Texas. (The other grandmother was born in Missouri ;).)

In my garden, bush beans can be planted in July, snow peas during the final week, and cool-weather greens in August. My guess is that in your climate, those sorts of things could run several weeks later.

We will enjoy learning about your new gardening start.

Steve
btw - the orthopedic surgeon said that there was good reason for me not to have back surgery. if you had a go-ahead and have that all out of the way - Good for You! yes, the stretching that a gardener does is good exercise!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found this site through BackYardChickens, where I have the same name on all the sister sites. My husband, elderly mother and I just moved into a house on 6.5 acres. We were going to start a small raised bed garden this spring, but then I had to have back surgery. We ended up planting a bunch of onions in a Green Stalk vertical planter and some directly into the ground. Just to have planted SOMETHING. LOL Some of them seem to be growing, not sure any of them are ready to harvest yet. It was experimental and we knew that we'd probably not be able to take care of them. Hoping we can at least plant something after July to have a fall/winter garden. But for now we're focusing on getting some chickens. We have lots of plans for our land! Excited to get started, even though I'm delayed quite a bit, I know that when I've fully recovered, gardening and tending animals will be great exercise!

welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan (i just realised that TEG is GET spelled backwards :) ).

my advice (i know you didn't ask, but i'm gonna give it anyways :) ) is to pay attention to what the docs tell you about what you can and cannot do post-surgery. if it takes longer to get back to full strength that is much better than reinjury or making things worse.

Wyndsong

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, Wyndsong. My grandmother was born in NE Texas. (The other grandmother was born in Missouri ;).)

In my garden, bush beans can be planted in July, snow peas during the final week, and cool-weather greens in August. My guess is that in your climate, those sorts of things could run several weeks later.

We will enjoy learning about your new gardening start.

Steve
btw - the orthopedic surgeon said that there was good reason for me not to have back surgery. if you had a go-ahead and have that all out of the way - Good for You! yes, the stretching that a gardener does is good exercise!
Those suggestions for veggies sound perfect for us! So hopefully I'll be able to do them!/ if not this year, for sure next year. We're here forever!

And yes the surgery was the last resort. I broke my back when I was 18 but it took all this time to finally need a spinal fusion. Over 25 years. I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to "normal"!

Wyndsong

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan (i just realised that TEG is GET spelled backwards :) ).

my advice (i know you didn't ask, but i'm gonna give it anyways :) ) is to pay attention to what the docs tell you about what you can and cannot do post-surgery. if it takes longer to get back to full strength that is much better than reinjury or making things worse.
Thank you for the advice! I'm for sure gonna follow my docs instructions. Don't want to go back to square one by messing up their amazing work! The garden will wait until I'm ready. There's still a ton of things we need to do to get ready for animals, rain catchment system, and gardening.

That freeze we had here back in Feb burst a couple of our pipes and we're still working on getting the damage on the ceilings fixed. So there's plenty of things for me to watch my husband do! LOL

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice! I'm for sure gonna follow my docs instructions. Don't want to go back to square one by messing up their amazing work! The garden will wait until I'm ready. There's still a ton of things we need to do to get ready for animals, rain catchment system, and gardening.

That freeze we had here back in Feb burst a couple of our pipes and we're still working on getting the damage on the ceilings fixed. So there's plenty of things for me to watch my husband do! LOL

just remind him once in a while about how amazing he is and that will help. :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Louisiana, glad you found us.

You'll probably be hearing from @baymule soon. A fabulous lady. There are several Texans on here, Bay is just one that I know is in your neck of the woods. When you get back on track she can give you all kinds of ideas of what to plant. I know you can't do it this year but my first thoughts for you are black-eyed peas, sweet potatoes, and okra, plus all the usual suspects.

Latest posts