Hello from Nova Scotia!

MyBlackThumb

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello! I am new to TEG, I have been meaning to register for a while. As you can guess by my handle I’m not skilled in gardening, or plant keeping of any kind. my husband has labeled my thumbs as black lol
I currently have an aloe plant that I’ve had for little over a month. But typically all my plants succumb to death no matter my efforts... but I keep trying!!!
Next year we will be moving to our new home we are building and my husband and I would both like a vegetable garden so I would like to do research on caring for that before it happens.
I also am looking for ideas on “low” keep gardens. We plan on making a rock garden next to the house with a couple blue spruce and a few other yet to be determined shrubs.
I look forward to chatting with you and learning how to turn my thumb from black to a nice green colour!
image.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined.

I'm in a totally different climate from you but there are plenty of people on here that can help you a lot more than me. Some into veggies, flowers, or landscaping. Just join in, read threads and ask questions. We don't stand on ceremony on this forum. Go ahead and get your hands dirty.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
welcome to TEG! hmm, i've grown aloe and haven't found them dangerous enough to keep them in a cage. :)

there are a lot of challenges and interests in gardening. rock gardens are certainly nice places and if you like to hunt rocks and arrangements you can come up with all sorts of interesting things to look at.

one of my favorite low maintenance plants is creeping thyme. nothing much eats it, it may need weeding as it gets established, but after that it is just a matter of keeping any new invaders from overrunning it. since it is a low growing plant... but it is very good smelling when you are sitting there weeding it and it has nice purple flowers once or twice a season. that and hens and chicks are very nice rock garden plants.

if you have any desire to grow edible plants often a good fence is required if there are herbivores around.

onions, garlic and daffodils are also pretty easy to grow and most animals won't bother them. irises need a bit more work, but they do have very pretty varieties.

MyBlackThumb

Sprout
Reaction score
welcome to TEG! hmm, i've grown aloe and haven't found them dangerous enough to keep them in a cage. :)

there are a lot of challenges and interests in gardening. rock gardens are certainly nice places and if you like to hunt rocks and arrangements you can come up with all sorts of interesting things to look at.

one of my favorite low maintenance plants is creeping thyme. nothing much eats it, it may need weeding as it gets established, but after that it is just a matter of keeping any new invaders from overrunning it. since it is a low growing plant... but it is very good smelling when you are sitting there weeding it and it has nice purple flowers once or twice a season. that and hens and chicks are very nice rock garden plants.

if you have any desire to grow edible plants often a good fence is required if there are herbivores around.

onions, garlic and daffodils are also pretty easy to grow and most animals won't bother them. irises need a bit more work, but they do have very pretty varieties.

Well the cage isn't so much about keeping the aloe in as keeping the house panthers out!! ;)

I just looked up hens and chicks as well as creeping thyme and those are both great options! Thank you!

As far as the herbivores getting into our garden (oh do we have deer! ...and bunnies!) we are going to take a carport frame and wrap it in hardware cloth to keep the wildlife out! I'm actually on the hunt for a second frame to have in case we need more room.

I have a few irises now that have survived me for quite a few years now and they are nice. I do plan on adding more and I plan on stocking up on daffodil bulbs! It's a shame the deer like tulips, because I do love those.

Thanks very much @flowerbug

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! MyBlack Thumb, don't be deterred by the nickname your husband has for you.

I came home after harvesting some vegetables (& pulling a few weeds), the other day. Seeing my Black Hands, DW said, "why don't you wear your gloves when you are picking things?" I said, "do you want to see how green the water is when I wash my hands?" Work tends to turn the hands black but "green from harvest" can be proof of a green thumb hiding below.

Do you know the name "Niki Jabbour?" She lives in Nova Scotia and writes gardening books. Useful, gardening books!

Steve's digitS'

MyBlackThumb

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks @digitS', I actually don't know that name but I will certainly look her up! Hopefully I'll get the chance to prove hubby wring once we get our veggie garden!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
p.s. i would not plant trees or bushes close to the house...

just thought of this while contemplating our own mistakes.

Latest posts