Hello from SC

Lauras mini homestead

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I was in backyard chickens, since I am a new chicken mom this year. BYC is where i saw the link to this site. Glad to join in. I have been gardening from a young age. When I was a child, the best memories are visiting my grandma and walking around all her flower beds. My grandma is who taught me to love plants and to dig in the dirt.
I am originally from PA where the soil was rich and,black. Been in SC for 13 years, and my soil is sand so I ammend with black kow and peat moss etc.
Looking forward to learning and sharing.
This is first year,since i lived in SC that my tomatoes are ok (so far). The leaves,always dry and curl up.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You're not the only one trying to grow in sand. I can think of one Texas member doing that right now. Right @baymule

Adding lots of organic matter is the way to go but it can take a while to get it to a usable soil. Hopefully you are composting that chicken manure with other things. That's powerful stuff, compost.

There are two big issues with sand. It drains really well so it can dry out pretty quickly. Mulching can help with that but you'll probably have to water a lot. And sand does not contain many nutrients the plants need, not like clay or loam. Compost and decayed organic matter help with both of those.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:welcome from East Central Illinois! We supposedly have great black soil, but I keep amending my beds from my horses and chickens. One nice thing---people will read and answer your posts here. Posts get lost at BYC bc of the numbers of members. What kind of chickens do you have? I have Easter Egger and Silver Laced Wyandotte hens and I fight daily two Dark Cornish roosters that get to go to freezer camp tomorrow. :rant

Latest posts