Hello from snowy Massachusetts! Dreaming of spring

Boppo

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi guys! I live just outside Boston. I found this site through its sister site, Backyard Chickens. I love to garden and have been gardening since I was a child. But there is so much to learn! I am pleased that I was able to garden with my grandma, as well as with my mother. I have introduced both of my children to gardening. It heals my soul.

Right now, my hardest thing is to wait until it's a reasonable time to start my spring seeds. I have my big grow light already set up with some pampered house plants luxuriating there, along with a few indoor tomatoes, I pollinate them by hand with an old electric toothbrush. I was more successful last year with Orange Hat. This year, I tried Tiny Tim, and it just wanted to sprawl. Maybe the soil was too rich. I also tried some dwarf bush beefsteaks, and got 2 small slicers off it. But the output was so low! We will continue, because I just LOVED being able to put some fresh cherry tomatoes on top of our homemade pizzas!

I am looking forward to meeting y'all. Despite my current location, I grew up in KY, lived 10 years in St. Louis before moving up here, following a job. Retired now, with 2 grown kids. My husband of 43 years just had to be put in a memory facility for Alzheimers. Our first Valentine's Day apart. We have 2 small dogs. Mochi is a 2 year old Shih Tzu with a big attitude. Bodie is a 4 year old (almost!) Coton de Tulear who is going blind due to retinal degeneration. Somehow, the tests they do never pick up his form of it. Just to let you dog lovers out there know. (Bodie is the white dog) IMG_4227.JPG

Attachments

• Bodie Belly Rub sm.jpg
    Bodie Belly Rub sm.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Mochi Apr 12.jpg
    Mochi Apr 12.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 117

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am south of you in Mattapoisett. So sorry about the first Valentine's Day without your husband. I went through this with. my Mom, so I know how difficult it is. I hope he still knows you.
I have had great luck growing Veranda tomatoes from Burpee indoors. I harvested them indoors in spring and picked through fall. I also bought a seed that self pollinates. Have you ever heard of such a thing? Forgot the name but will check. Of course when my garden tomatoes came in I rather ignored the potted plants. I have them growing again. Such a treat while waiting for the main crop, or anything fresh for that matter.
I think you may warm up a bit sooner than I do, but not by much. I have onion seedling growing since Sept. in my little greenhouse. I have great luck getting large onions by growing my own plants. I have those few Veranda tomatoes started along with eggplant, peppers, and artichoke. I am going to start celery now and then the Brassicas very soon. Later will come the squash family-early march. . Most flower seeds can be started now without too much trouble.Maybe my timeline will help you. I too start out at BYC. Wellcome. There are some real experts on this forum.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Texas. You are close enough to @catjac1975 to go see her daylily gardens!!! Lucky you!!

So sorry about your husband. Yesterday was my 26th anniversary but my husband passed away in September. I just kept busy all day with some friends.

You will like it here, plenty of super nice people that love to garden. You’ll fit right in.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Texas. You are close enough to @catjac1975 to go see her daylily gardens!!! Lucky you!!

So sorry about your husband. Yesterday was my 26th anniversary but my husband passed away in September. I just kept busy all day with some friends.

You will like it here, plenty of super nice people that love to garden. You’ll fit right in.
Sounds like you are as strong as you always seemed to be. Not wallowing. I think I would be wallowing. Stay strong.

Latest posts