Hello from Twentynine Palms, CA!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
Attempting to grow things in the Desert.
And, I have the water bills to prove it
Hi rebbetzin! That is my biggest issue with trying to grow anything here!! I need to find veggies that grow well with minimal water. Any suggestions?
If you have a local University Extension Garden Center, they can be very helpful. I once lived in Adelanto, out by Victorville/George AFB. If the soil in your area is anything like mine here in Tucson, it is VERY Alkaline. I can pour vinegar on my soil and it will fizz!

I have spend YEARS here building the soil. About 4 years ago I started to use Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting soil. I LOVE IT! I use a raised bed/square foot type of gardening. In the summer, it is hard to really grow much without using VAST amounts of water. And the yields are just not really worth the cost. I can buy the best organics veggies in the store and be better off financially than attempting to grow things here in the summer. My husband suggests I pretend summer here is like winter in Alaska.

In the fall and winter is when our weather is best for growing. That means the cool weather crops. Cabbage family, lettuces, radishes, spinach, peas, etc. Flowers love the winter, if they can be in full sun. I do have to cover them when it gets below freezing here.

Test your soil, I tried in the beginnng to grow things just adding steer manure to the native soil, and it was a disaster! It has taken over 20 years now to have decent soil, but, in a short time of not adding compost, and other additives, it reverts quickly to the alkaline side of the scale. In fact it "pegs" the meter to the alkaline side.

Hope your soil is better.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Doesn't that Rebbetzin have the cutest smilies :cool: ?!!

I don't know where she got that one (or, where she's hiding it ;) ) but if you want to -- you can click my 2 and it will take you to a Texas A&M webpage. Then, scroll down to Table IV-1. Relative Vegetable Water Needs:

[url]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just%204%20Fun/th2_cents.gif[/url]

Not only did I hi-jack the question but, those 2 . . . I stole 'em from Rebbetzin!!

:p Steve :D
I have a ton of smilies on my computer and on Photobucket. I am always happy to find new ones
And being a firstborn, I was taught I was suppose to share things with others.
Haloappearing.gif

(I had four younger siblings, well, I still do for that matter!But now we are all "old people")

Here is a link to many of them on my Photobucket acct.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Rebbetzin/Email icons/?start=all

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, you made that for All of Us to enjoy!

Alrighty! Now you are gonna have to make me one like that, Rebbetzin!

You know how helpless the last-born are . . . And, I want one with gold stars!

5star.gif

:D Steve ;)

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
No, you made that for All of Us to enjoy!

Alrighty! Now you are gonna have to make me one like that, Rebbetzin!

You know how helpless the last-born are . . . And, I want one with gold stars!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just 4 Fun/5star.gif

:D Steve ;)
Well If you send me a photo you would like to have as your personal Welcome... I can try a few ideas and see if you like any of them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh now stop that, Rebbetzin!

You'll make be dependent and I'll be wanting to move into your spare bedroom.

:p

Steve (Urkel)

4989_plenty1.jpg

got any cheese?

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Oh now stop that, Rebbetzin!

You'll make be dependent and I'll be wanting to move into your spare bedroom.

:p

Steve (Urkel)

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/4989_plenty1.jpg
got any cheese?
Hey! I have those Heidi books! And just for the record, I do make a very nice goat milk cheese.

In fact I am bartering cheese for donations to my "Prince Edward Island" vacation with my daughter this summer!

So far... In past month I have put over $175.00 in my PEI fund!

I even have my own cheese labels.

Samplerlabelemail.jpg

And not to worry, we don't even have a spare bedroom!
BigSmile2-1.gif

Latest posts