Hello from Virginia

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Adam and welcome! :frow

I have some walking onions that came down from my great-grandmother's garden and some irises and daffodils that came from my great-great-grandmother. Glad to see other young folks interested in preserving their family garden history. It really makes you feel connected to your roots, doesn't it? :)

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Smart Red I am a child of late 1980.

@journey11 These onions came to my grandparents by way of my dad's eye doctor, Dr. Shepherd, now many years deceased.

Oh yeah, I didn't mention my Christmas cactus obsession did I? I'll try and post pics when they bloom. The ones in my office in Bethesda Maryland are already blooming/budding. Great east morning light mixed with low nighttime temps = blooming in September! Well one of them was.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
VA_, I love Christmas cactus as well. Okay, I have an addiction that "Holiday" cactus seem to help control (if it is possible to control an addiction). I lost most of mine at the end of 2012 -- not from the drought that killed off many of my perennials, but because DH was putting up soffit around the house and the plants that usually over-winter in my sun room were sitting in the garden shed. Gone! Years of Schlumbergera and Epiphyllum growing gone in one unexpectedly cold night.

For most of the next year I was so upset about losing everything that I didn't grow much at all. So now I've started over.

@Smart Red I am a child of late 1980.

Well, I imagine that would make you "old" to our @TheSeedObsesser but younger than my baby boy and still puts me in Methuselah's generation.

Yup, yup, yup, you're going to fit into our friendly gang just fine.

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Smart Red Where does your collection stand right now? Did you have or lose the traditional bucklei hybrid? I could send you that one or anything else I have that you find interesting in Spring.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG @VA_LongBean !

Yup, I was born in '97,so your still older than I am by quite a bit.

If I was good with potted plants, I would probably have a large collection of those epiphytic cacti, but I'm not. Would like to see pictures of your collection, any yellow-flowering varieties?

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@TheSeedObsesser :D Yes, though I can't remember who I bought it from so don't have the correct name. It was an eBay purchase, most likely from Hirts Garden which I bought quite a bit from in that timeframe (mid 2000's). If it was it would be "Hirts Gold."

I have killed quite a few epiphytic cacti in my time, even rickrack cactus succumbed to my tender mercies. I still have my late grandfather's night blooming cereus (my screenname on garden web btw), but there was one which had a scent when it bloomed and none of the ones I have now does this.