Hello from Virginia

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi I'm Adam and I garden. My grandmother got me involved when I was seven and I have been learning ever since. Right now I am learning to be a more organized gardener as my earlier efforts have been . . . slap-dash.

I am the keeper of a strain of, probably widely grown, Chinese long beans given to my parents on their marriage in 1974 by a Chinese friend. This year I grew out my very old Bloody Butcher corn seed and have enough fresh seed to hopefully get some red cornmeal in 2015. The crowder peas did phenomenally well given what I started with, a handful in a grocery bag. And I'm keeper of my late grandparents walking onions. So hoping to make new friends and expand my horizons here.

Thanks,
Adam

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Howdy Adam, and welcome!

:frow

:welcome

Are those the strong tasting walking onions that are so good cooked up sautee like?

You're at the right place. We're all learning and teaching.

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Marshall. I've been enjoying reading the 2013 and 2014 bean threads.

I don't know about cooking the walking onions, but mom used them for green onions on salads. I may try cooking them.

This year I'm adding garlic and potato onions to my garden. Think I could join the fun with growing out beans? :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Adam. I'm glad you joined our group. Everyone is really nice and helpful. Thank you for telling us alittle of your gardening experience. How big is your garden? My space is very limited since I live in concrete jungle. :)

Mary

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heck yea. Bluejay sets the game plan each year, but it's all good!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Adam, you're gonna love those bean folks! They sure love their beans. I like to follow the thread even though I don't participate because of lack of space. But I know they have fun!

Mary

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I live on something less than 1/4 acre in a 40 year old subdivision. Unfortunately I have to dodge buried cable, phone and power lines, but the backyard is fair game and I can use the front if I cut down a tree and build more raised beds. My garden spaces are extensive despite this, but are bit wild at the moment. The veggie garden is about 12 by 24 and trapezoidal, but it gets the full sun all year and plenty of water.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome, @VA_LongBean. :frow You might be of an age with @TheSeedObsesser. We'll have to check that out. Me? :old I'm more with Grandma Moses or Grandma Moses' mother.

:welcome We are always happy to welcome new members to TheEasyGarden and even happier when the stop by often to share and chat.:welcome

Bean lovers (and growers) are among our :yaspecial friends :yaon the BEAN thread shown here. Glad you've joined!

Latest posts