Hello from Virginia!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! It will be great if you keep us posted on your progress and the results - with some information through the coming seasons on its use ... Yes, that would be wonderful :).

I have a sunshed - and I'll call it that and you may decide that name fits for yours. It is far more "utilitarian." ;) Simple design that I threw together on a piece of graph paper about 25 years ago. The south wall is UV-resistant film and that doesn't contribute anything to its looks.

One bit of advice that I have is that you should think about the amount of water that plants require, even in the early weeks of their lives. Flats and pots have to drain. So water is applied and it drains away. Perhaps a sink would be all that is needed under a bench holding the flats and pots. Perhaps an additional sink for somewhat more conventional purposes such as for filling sprinkler cans.

Steve

Mac1520

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! It will be great if you keep us posted on your progress and the results - with some information through the coming seasons on its use ... Yes, that would be wonderful :).

I have a sunshed - and I'll call it that and you may decide that name fits for yours. It is far more "utilitarian." ;) Simple design that I threw together on a piece of graph paper about 25 years ago. The south wall is UV-resistant film and that doesn't contribute anything to its looks.

One bit of advice that I have is that you should think about the amount of water that plants require, even in the early weeks of their lives. Flats and pots have to drain. So water is applied and it drains away. Perhaps a sink would be all that is needed under a bench holding the flats and pots. Perhaps an additional sink for somewhat more conventional purposes such as for filling sprinkler cans.

Steve
Steve,

Great feedback. Thank you. I recommend we install a sink… cause I’m running a water line out there anyway for a yard hydrant. She shy’d away from the idea I think because of the amt of work going into the project already. I would rather do it right and not deal with rework later on. I’ll reegage the topic again.

Sunshed! I like it. When I tell family - potting shed, Everone has different ideas on what that means.. maybe this will help them understand.

Shall keep pics and progress coming. Appreciate everyone’s perspective, it’s helping the design ideas immensely!

Cheers,
Mike

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you are running plumbing set up connenctions and an external workspace too where you can rinse off root crops or other harvest goodies and having a spot near there where you can hose off work boots and tools and such (i suggest Creeping Thyme for this over grass because of how well i like it instead :) ).

and of course if it is frost prone area include some way of draining the line or freeze proofing. we just run hoses all over the place for the season and then we have to drain them and bring them in each fall. which is a task we have to do soon...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:welcome
I am a big fan of "This Old House," and they Swear by this tool:
how-to-measure-angles-hero.jpg

Mac1520

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:welcome
I am a big fan of "This Old House," and they Swear by this tool:
how-to-measure-angles-hero.jpg

Yea, one thing I’m a big fan of is having the right tools for the job. Before I take on any project, I see what tools I will need to make life easier. Speed square is a must and I have the 7” & 12” version. Great tool!

Latest posts