Hello. I am new and am wondering

Reaction score
If anyone sees an issue with my plan for the spring.

I plan on putting a pergola over my garden and wire row covers on my plants so I can allow my hens to help me keep the weeds down.
The row covers will be wood frame with chicken wire. I have a plan to make tall square ones for the tomatoes too.
The garden is 12x24 and I plan on having a picket fence on the lower portion with wire covering the rest.
I can use any advice I can get also on conditioning the soil. It seems we have bentonite (sp?) and lots of it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the end, I think you will find the amount of weeds the birds keep down, will not be worth the effort of keeping them out of your veggies... Letting the chickens have access in the early spring and after you put the garden to bed, seems to work out great. Of course, their poop is gardening gold! I have seen people with a "tractor" set up that works pretty well in the walkways. Let us know how you make out- Happy Gardening!

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Howdy from Austin, Texas. While I've given my hens the run of the garden during the winter months I plan on excluding them during most of the early growing season. Don't take to much store by this however since my garden was a disaster what with the drought here last year, and it was my first garden. :)

Reaction score
I really cannot wait for spring...
We have the plan drawn up and the items priced. I think it can work out ok. We will take lots of pictures and post them as we go through the season. I plan to paint it all white.
We are rather handy people so we have the skills just not the weather for it yet.
I will include pics of the hens doing their thing in the garden.

Thank you all for the input.

sheaviance1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My hens don't hurt the plants once they have grown and become established, but they will do a number on new little sprouts. They consider it a gourmet buffet! Good luck to you :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My chickens do so much scratching around the base of vegetable plants, it hurts the more fragile plants. Also, the chickens decided that they like tomatoes, and really ruined a lot of them before I discovered it was them, not a rabbit. I think if you did a poll, you would find that most chicken owners do not let their birds into the garden during the planting/active growing season. But if you have a plan to protect the plants, then go for it! :)

Latest posts