Hello!

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello from central illinois! I am still new to gardening, although I did help out in my family's garden as a kid. I currently have a very old, very rough farmyard I am trying to make productive again. Right now my biggest nemesis is the bindweed...

Hoping to find lots of inspiration and more experienced gardeners for advise!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, glad you found us. Grab an appropriate beverage, pull up a chair, put your feet up, and make yourself to home. Jump right in wherever you wish.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello :welcome from near Davenport, IA Feel free to jump right in. We are a friendly lot and love to tease and SHARE lots of things. ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from north Idaho Prairie Rose! :frow

It's helpful if you put your general area in your avatar info, and I can totally relate about bindweed's evil ways. I let the garden weeds get away from me one year and now the bindweed is horribly prolific.
We love pictures too!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from north Idaho Prairie Rose! :frow

It's helpful if you put your general area in your avatar info, and I can totally relate about bindweed's evil ways. I let the garden weeds get away from me one year and now the bindweed is horribly prolific.
We love pictures too!
BINDWEED is a BIG problem this year as I also let it have its way last summer :( I feel the pain!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello from central illinois! I am still new to gardening, although I did help out in my family's garden as a kid. I currently have a very old, very rough farmyard I am trying to make productive again. Right now my biggest nemesis is the bindweed...

Hoping to find lots of inspiration and more experienced gardeners for advise!

welcome to the forums from mid-Michigan. :)

if something covers a big enough area that i cannot control it by hand digging and cutting back then i smother it with a few layers of cardboard and if needed a repeat application, not much survives that. we're lucky that as of yet this has not shown up in our gardens, but it is along the road here or there around us so eventually it may try to get going here, but we keep an eye out for things like this because we know how tough it is to eradicate some weeds once they get going.

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I live in west central Illinois, close to the capital city.

This is uh, my fourth year of battling bindweed. Newspaper/cardboard and mulch didn't work at all, daily dedicated weed pulling only made my hands green, and it is literally climbing the side of my house at this stage. This year I tried black plastic in my one raised vegetable bed, and success! It's still there, but ten minutes of weed pulling a week keeps it in check. Most importantly, I haven't given up and let it smother my garden. I am hoping a few years of plastic and dedicated weeding will get it eradicated from my beds.

If not, I fully intend to dig up a few heirloom plants and let my father have his way with the weedkillers, lol. He keeps promising he can get rid of it. I might not have anything growing in my yard....but I won't have bindweed! :lol: At least not for a few days...I am convinced that stuff can survive anything!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The bindweed is in my flower bed out front. Intermingling with every thing, climbing the lilac etc... I have trouble getting to it and not stepping on the nice flowers or getting hung up in the bush. What a mess. I am almost ready to do the same. Dig it all out. NUKE an replant when I think the bind weed is gone. HA !!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Prairie Rose! I don't have bindweed. In fact I don't even know what it is but I do have rats. So we all have our gardening issues. Hope you can at least keep it under control.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I live in west central Illinois, close to the capital city.

This is uh, my fourth year of battling bindweed. Newspaper/cardboard and mulch didn't work at all, daily dedicated weed pulling only made my hands green, and it is literally climbing the side of my house at this stage. This year I tried black plastic in my one raised vegetable bed, and success! It's still there, but ten minutes of weed pulling a week keeps it in check. Most importantly, I haven't given up and let it smother my garden. I am hoping a few years of plastic and dedicated weeding will get it eradicated from my beds.

If not, I fully intend to dig up a few heirloom plants and let my father have his way with the weedkillers, lol. He keeps promising he can get rid of it. I might not have anything growing in my yard....but I won't have bindweed! :lol: At least not for a few days...I am convinced that stuff can survive anything!

if you can see it growing you would need to reapply the newspapers/cardboard. i scrape back the mulch and put down a few more layers and then put the mulch back on top. it's a lot faster than digging it out, but you do have to be consistent enough to keep it covered.

Latest posts