Help ID a plant for me. ADDED a couple more plant Pic I need help with

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I vote for virginia creeper on the first one. Be careful with it, it wants to take over the world. That being said, I do let some grow on my fences...The birds love to nest in it, and it is quite beautiful in the fall. It will climb up trees and smoother them. They claim that the majority of the "green" we see in the Adirondacks is really virginia creeper...don't know much about the little "tree". I tried to plant a few in my "wee garden" thought they looked like mini- trees, but they died. Enjoy discovering the mysteries of your new property!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
First one seems too upright (and early) for wood strawberry so I am going to say Wood Anemone; second one seems to be a clubmoss.

Pat
Not very familiar with either but I think that Pat has got 'em.

The flower on the first made me think of a mayapple but . . . hey, I'm really not familiar with that "easterner." Virginia Creeper doesn't have that flower and it has crept all the way from Virginia to here . . .

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with Pat's estimation. Here's some pics of the wood aneome . Virginia creeper is a climbing vine and has clusters of bright orange/red trumpet shaped flowers. It took me a second look to see the white flowers on the first pic. The second pic is definitely club moss (or "ground pine"). They are nice in flower arrangements/wreaths as an evergreen.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have miles of virginia creeper and have never seen it flower...it can climb- but it is happy to creep all over the ground, as well. Didn't see the white flower in the pic- I'm sure Pat is right.

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The last picture is a red cedar. I have them growing everywhere on my property. They are a large shrub.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is a noxious weed that looks like thistle, but doesn't have the thorns on the stems. The seed pods are burrs that catch in clothes and tangle in pet fur. Get it out! All the tap root too. Not mullein.

The vine is a wild ivy.

The evergreen is princess pine. It is endangered in Ma. It is wild and will make a beautiful stand over time. It does not get much bigger and reproduces slowly by underground roots and likes the understory.

impis

Sprout
Reaction score
nittygrittydirtdigger said:
First one looks like Virginia Creeper to me.....don't know about the second one.
i agree. It is virginia creeper. Turns a lovely bright red in the autumn.

jennh

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi! I am new here--am from BYC. That is a burdock plant. I let one grow in my yard. Here is why :ya

7187_painted_concrete_leaf.jpg

I use these instead of rhubarb leaves. So much more veining, it makes a beautiful leaf!

Jen

Latest posts