Help ID a plant for me. ADDED a couple more plant Pic I need help with

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am completely stumped with this plant. It is growing out behind DH'd shed/garage. The leaves are fuzzy, it leafs out from the middle and I have NO idea what it is.
6693_plant_id_poults_008.jpg

6693_plant_id_poults_006.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a mullein, I think. They send up a tall flower stalk with yellow blooms along it. They are wild, but my grandma deliberately planted some in her wildflower garden. They are neat. They have an herbal use, but I can't remember what exactly.

ETA: Actually, I am second guessing myself now....maybe that plant doesn't look fuzzy enough to be mullein.

Ok, I'm leaning now more toward burdock.... http://ipm.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/arfmi.htm

In which case, you better dig 'er up before it makes burrs! Also medicinal, the root can be eaten as a saute veggie or dried and used in tea for a liver cleanser.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Burdock it is- dig it up now and it won't be a problem....They are nasty when full grown and have a million seeds.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had both thoughts when I saw the pictures, too!

Mullein lays out a little flatter.

Yeah, I think it is burdock - OUT with it!!

Steve

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Common mullein is not so ruffly as that, and the upper surface would be heavily woolly-white too, not just the lower surface. (There are local/regional escapes of some other big mulleins e.g. olympic mullein and I am less familiar with those... but I just do not think it's mullein)

I too think it is burdock.

Pat

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I totally agree.

Now what is this??? I am going around the new yard trying to identify all the plants.
6693_plant_id_poults_021.jpg

6693_plant_id_poults_022.jpg

And this??? It looks like a little evergreen but it is not a tree. My grandmother use to put them in wreaths.
6693_plant_id_poults_023.jpg

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
First one seems too upright (and early) for wood strawberry so I am going to say Wood Anemone; second one seems to be a clubmoss.

Pat

Latest posts