Help Picking out Trees, Short Notice!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you remember how our generous neighbors gave me that acre of land to plant? (Btw, might actually be able to plant this year after all!) Well, he wants to line his driveway (It's stinkin' looooong!) with evergreen trees. He's thinking shorter, maybe dwarf almost, evergreens. Any recommendations as to variety or species would be highly appreciated.

Due to the all-of-the-sudden waves of good news and positive things happening here, I might not be able to post often.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a row of yellow tipped arborvitae that are really beautiful. They will get large, but ours are 20 years old and about 7 feet tall. They could be pruned to a lower size and make more of a hedge. Globe arborvitae will run shorter and can also be pruned to a wanted size.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Avoid the Arborvitae. Mid America Gardener panelists have noticed that it's not holding up well with the last super cold winters, and you are in the same zone as us. They would recommend a variety of different evergreens that grow at approximately the same rate, so that one disease doesn't knock them all out in a monoculture. They would suggest laying them in their pots along the drive, measuring a proper distance so that they don't grow over the drive and then planting. Good luck.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about holly? It can be trimmed into a nice, dense hedge. Not a spruce, but still technically evergreen. ;)

I'm glad to hear good things are coming your way. Hope it works out on the free planting space! :fl

Latest posts