Help planning flower bed

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Boxwoods don't have extensive roots. In fact they are quite shallow. I think if you just cut down on the roots with a shovel as far around the shrub as you can get then pulled them out with the truck you would be fine.

That's funny that you guys say boxwoods stink. I wonder if it's a variety thing? I take care of a lot of them, real up close and personal, and never noticed a wet dog or pee oder. o_O Maybe my nose is dysfunctional...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the second part of your question Nacho, I was wondering which direction the flowerbed faces that you were thinking of planting with azaleas or hydrangeas? Why don't you do both if the location is right?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule , be careful of planting under established old oak trees. The extra water that a flower bed uses can cause them to develop oak root fungus and they eventually die. Not overnight, but after several years. I had a friend that lost several old Engelman oaks after irrigating beds beneath them.
Some oak trees may possibly be more sensitive to this than others.
Don't want to be a downer, just thought I'd give you a heads up so you could look into it.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Cal. , in a new subdivision where there were quite a few old, older to fairly young oak trees in what was once a arid cow pasture , the builder built homes there. New buyers liked the shade and installed sprinkler systems, planted all manner of flowers, ground covers and lawns. Then 3-5 years later, guess who had no more shade and some fine firewood right in their yards along a nice bill from the tree removal company. :barnie

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Advice taken. This stuff will just have to root hog or die. Twenty bucks, I 'll take my chances.

Latest posts