Help! Poison Oak Rash!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Whenever I get into PO the 1st thing I do is wash with Fels Naptha.
Then I get a hold of the DR and he calls in a RX for steroids. They come in a pack where you take the 1st row of 7 or 8 the 1st day and each day after that you take one less total for the day, spread out over the day.
By the last day you're down to just one
Usually after the 1st day the itch is gone and as each day goes by the rash dries up a little more.
I get about half way through the pack and I quit taking them and save the remainder for my next bout. That way I don't have to be calling so often.

THANX RICH

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whenever I get into PO the 1st thing I do is wash with Fels Naptha.
Then I get a hold of the DR and he calls in a RX for steroids. They come in a pack where you take the 1st row of 7 or 8 the 1st day and each day after that you take one less total for the day, spread out over the day.
By the last day you're down to just one
Usually after the 1st day the itch is gone and as each day goes by the rash dries up a little more.
I get about half way through the pack and I quit taking them and save the remainder for my next bout. That way I don't have to be calling so often.

THANX RICH
Me too @dickiebird . PO is BAD when I get into it. Often unknown contact with an item that was and I did not know.... grr. The last time I had it BAD I wound up on TWO courses of steroids!

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its funny how we use metals as medicine. On the one hand they are self sanitizing, and easily corrodable metals like silver and copper are anti microbial, and others like Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium and Sodium get taken up by the very cells the Silver and Copper might harm.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its funny how we use metals as medicine. On the one hand they are self sanitizing, and easily corrodable metals like silver and copper are anti microbial, and others like Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium and Sodium get taken up by the very cells the Silver and Copper might harm.
I've just read that rubbing alcohol help to neutralise. I wonder if ordinary vodka would work, I have benonite clay, this could help to draw out the toxins.

@Carol Dee . I really don't like steroids, that's just my personal thing, from what I've observed they can tend to cause more harm plus put a heap of weight on.. But not a professional here. :)

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lucky me, now TOMATO VINES make me break out and blister just like poison oak. I wear a long sleeved denim Work shirt to go to the garden. Bean vines make me itch too.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've just read that rubbing alcohol help to neutralise. I wonder if ordinary vodka would work, I have benonite clay, this could help to draw out the toxins.

@Carol Dee . I really don't like steroids, that's just my personal thing, from what I've observed they can tend to cause more harm plus put a heap of weight on.. But not a professional here. :)
I would rather not take them But it was the ONLY thing that took care of the misery/agony. It is short term. Not like a daily long term dosage. When it is as bad as I had it you will do anything for relief. :(