Help w/tractor tire gardening

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
First time. Got old tractor tires from neighbor (don't ever email a group of farmers that you want tractor tires as you'll get more than you can use in life time), 2/3 filled it w/straw-cow manure, then put dark top soil on top to finish. Planted strawberries in it after getting rained. Anything I need to be aware of? I have water that I can water during summer as I expect the straw to dry things up.

I planted June berries. Would everberriers work? I'm trying to locate some to put in the other tractor tire. Will they bear all year long really?

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
just remember they will dry out faster than an in ground bed so they will need more water. Not all yr but during the warmer mos you should have berries.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Everbearing should give you about 3 rounds of berries per year. Spring, summer and fall.... I picked those up for our garden.

Sounds like you are good to go and have PLENTY of tires to fill with yummies :D

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
VFEm, how long have you had everbearers? So I can hope for 3 seasons w/them?

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A problem I had with strawberries in the tractor tires is the dirt would get too hot. As in the black tire absorbed the sunlight and radiated it inward and it ended up cooking the roots of my plants. Hopefully you won't have the same problem I did - it was very disheartening.... :/

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Setter that is a Wonderful link :clap :clap :caf Great source of info I have always thought County Extension is a great place to get help :clap Thanks for sharing the link

As far as the tires getting too hot, I have seen many folks paint them as to reflect the light, so this maybe answer to the over heating.

Seedcorn I think you have a wonderful problem there. I wouldn't mind having a couple more tractor tires for flower beds around my place :watering

:happy_flower Karan :D

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My Mom always had flower planters made from tires and painted pastel colors. You could make your strawberry planters very attractive!

Latest posts